Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:05 PM   #1

Default Which camera?

Hello everyone,

Option 1:
I am looking to purchase a new camera really soon as I am going on a trip after Christmas and then again in February. I am debating between the Elph 310HS or the 510HS. I don't mind the idea of a touch screen, so that wouldn't deter me from purchasing the 510HS. How's the low light performance of each? The camera would mainly be used for travel photos and most would be in good lighting conditions; however, a small amount would need the camera to be adequate in low light the majority of them would be alright with a decent built in flash.

Option 2:
Now, the other part of me is looking at the Panasonic TS3 or the Nikon AW100 for underwater photos as the trip I will be going on after Christmas I will be staying at a place with a pool. Also, the trip in February will be on a cruise so an underwater camera wouldn't be a bad thing. The thing that I don't like about these underwater cameras is that the sensors are so ridiculously small.

Which would you recommend out of these 2 options of cameras? Further, what would you guys recommend for the best of both worlds? The Elph 310HS has 8x zoom, 510HS 12x, while the two underwater cameras only have 5x, but the underwater would definitely benefit me on both of my vacations (but not an absolute deal breaker..).

I am not sure which to go for, any ideas?
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:56 AM   #2

between the under water the panny.

Do you use allot of zoom when traveling. If you between the canon 12x zoom.

Low light is a hit or miss with these little sensor camera's. None are really good at it, somethings you get lucky with a decent light sources and get a decent low light shot.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:04 AM   #3

Thanks for your quick reply. I am now deciding between the Elph 310 HS and the Panasonic TS3. I know the 310 HS is the top of the line in its class in terms of image quality for its price, but how does the TS3 compare to it?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:56 AM   #4

Also what about the Sony TX10?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:21 AM   #5

The TX10 is nice but that slide cover can be an issue if you do plan to swim with it. Sand can get trap in the over can as you open and close the case. The sand can scratch the case.

It is a nice camera, with a good lens. But it is the same with low light, a hit or miss.