Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:31 PM   #1

Default Mirrorless help!!

Hi, I am thinking about getting us a mirrorless camera for christmas, but first I wanted to get your input and opionions, which have helped me greatly in the past.
I currently have a t2i, with some lenses (18-55, 50 1.8, 55-250, and 100 2.8 macro non IS). We also have a s95 that is always with us.
The thing is, we have small kids a do a fair among of travel, so it is not always convinient to lug around the canon with a bunch of lenses specially the macro (which I like a lot).
The s95, i find a little limiting at times specially on trips.
Our main concern is weight, not so much as bulk as none of the cameras would fit into a pocket...
What would be your suggestions?
Thanks a lot
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:41 PM   #2

get something like the olympus pen, epl1 or 2, ep3, epm1 which ever fits your budget and needs. epl's and ep3 have a built in flash the epm1 does not. Go with the olympus 14-150. And for your macro get a canon 500D close up lens that attach to the 14-150. And get a panny 20 1.7 for a fast prime and it is a very small kit. You cover 28-300mm in FL and have a 40mm fast prime.

The panny kit is a bit large and lens are heavier with the OIS then the oly lens.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:45 PM   #3

The sony and samsung option are not bad but they do not have as many lenses, and the lens are heavier the the m4/3 lenses. As they have to be larger due to the larger sensor for equal FL.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:06 PM   #4

Thank you shoturtle. How good is the 14-150 in terms of IQ? Would it be something like tamron 18-270 in terms of optical performance?
Actually I am kind or torn between Panasonic and Olympus. Sony seems like a good option but as you mentioned their lenses seem pretty big almost off setting the slim body advantage.
I like the olympus jpeg output more at low iso but I read Panasonic new sensor does better at higher iso. Which do you think would be the max usable iso?
Ease of use? I was liking the epm1 until i saw how menu driven it is... I think i would prefrer a more accesible camera.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:28 PM   #5

I'm curious- what are you missing from the S95...?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:10 PM   #6

the 14-150 is a very good lens optically, I would say it is a bit better then the tamron 18-270, as the FL is not as extreme. It has become my travel lens of choice with the epl1. Small and light compare to all megazoom. And the correction factor of m4/3 you really do not see any short coming of the megazoom.

The thing with panny is if you go with their body, the olympus lenses are not as good of an options especially the lens. The lens IS panny vs in body is that oly uses can make the choice of the longer zoom very one sided. The long zoom oly 75-300 is optically better then the 100-300 of the panny, but at 300mm in less then ideal light, it can be challenging to use the oly lens on the panny body. Not as big an issue with the primes and short FL lenses.

Also the panny mega zoom lens is quite a bit larger and heavier then the 14-150. Though it is a great HD lens and good photo lens it is 900 dollar for the 14-140 form panny.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 21, 2011 at 8:16 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:37 PM   #7

G'day marubex

FWIW - I've recently done some lens testing with the Panny G2 + the 14-140 panny vs the Pentax Kx + Sigma 70-300 APO

There was no discernable difference between the 2 systems ie- the smaller sensor did not cause any drop-off in sharpness or other performance issues

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 5:08 PM   #8

Thank you all.
Ozzie, do you have pictures of your tests? Do you mean there is virtually no difference in IQ between them, AF focusing?
Simon, I have been thinking about your question. I don't know why but even though the s95 is with me 95% of time, i end up taking 99% of pictures with the t2i. I know it is not fair to compare them but, I end up with a lot of shaking pictures or noise. And overall don't enjoy using it as much.... except when I have to carry it for a long time and can stash it in my pocket
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:14 PM   #9

The m4/3 system corrects for the lens short comings. So it will actually look better in some entery level lens for dslrs. I would not be surprise it preforms actually better than the sig 70-300 or the tamron 70-300. Which I alway see as being soft pass 220mm.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 5:12 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Nikon 1. Fantastic little camera that sits nicely between your DSLR and S95.