Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 26, 2011, 5:04 AM   #1

Default New SLR Camera

Hi I hope you can Help?

I am a new to the site from the uk.

my Niece has asked me to do her wedding photo's, in June, and foolishly I said yes. then realized I would need a better camera than my Fuji s2500 fine pix.
So I have had a look at loads of Reviews of cameras to buy, Lenses I will need, but it's a minefield of information, with everybody having a different opinion.

So my mission over the next 5 months is to get my knowledge of wedding photography up to a descent level, and buy a SLR that will give me a good quality of photo without breaking the bank, i was hoping to spend around the 500 mark? but would be truly grateful for a more definitive answer if possible and any support or advice you can throw my way.

Thanks

Martin
madaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:45 AM   #2

Nikon D3100,D5100,Canon 550D,600D,Pentax K5,Sony NEX5N,....take your pick...all are about as good as they can get,for not so great a price,of course all have been previewed/reviewed on the Steve's with all pros and cons listed in a manner easy to understand...good luck shooting the wedding!!!
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:50 AM   #3

Been there, done that, and got the t-shirt. I had already purchased the dSLR when I offered to shoot my nephew's wedding.

Perhaps the most critical thing I did was to establish a mutal set of expectations for the output. If they are expecting a highly stylized output, then you've got your work cut out for you. If they want the standard formals at the front of the church coupled with some shots at the reception, then you're in business.

Equipment-wise, a big flash will be essential, perferrably inside a diffuser or light box. I'd recommend a T3i ($710) coupled with the Nissin 866 flash ($350).

If you have 150 days to prepare, you'll need to use every one of them to start practicing. Seriously, dSLRs have a learning curve to them, especially with flash involved.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaway View Post
my Niece has asked me to do her wedding photo's, in June, and foolishly I said yes.
True that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaway View Post
So my mission over the next 5 months is to get my knowledge of wedding photography up to a descent level, and buy a SLR that will give me a good quality of photo without breaking the bank, i was hoping to spend around the 500 mark?
An alternative you might consider is to spend that 500 on a professional wedding photographer. (One very good one comes to mind, btw.)

A total budget of 500 might be pushing the limit. For that you might be able to get an appropriate lens and an appropriate flash, but you'd still need a camera.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2011, 9:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

An alternative you might consider is to spend that 500 on a professional wedding photographer. (One very good one comes to mind, btw.)

A total budget of 500 might be pushing the limit. For that you might be able to get an appropriate lens and an appropriate flash, but you'd still need a camera.

Well said and an opinion I totally agree with. Photographs of life long remembrances i.e. weddings, IMHO are far too important.

Now, if you still want to buy a dslr, to improve your photographs, that's a different story.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I'd be concerned about a photographer in the 500 price range. Of course, I'd be concerned with what I could do with 500 in equipment, too.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2011, 3:47 PM   #7

Wedding photography is one of the hardest gigs out there. If your serious about doing it get your gear now and then practice with it each and every day. Things I would look for in gear having done a few family weddings (after being begged into doing them) is to make sure the body has a good fps burst mode so you can get those kiss shots nailed and also at least 1 lense that can handle near darkness for those dance floor shots. Go to the church where the wedding will take place and take some photos so you get the lighting and metering figured out in advance. Also learn to adjust the controls on your camera in low light, since their will be times on the dance floor etc when the light will be low. Also make sure you have plenty of battery power, memory cards and a back-up camera of good quality. Good Luck......

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2011, 5:56 PM   #8

Default What camera should I buy

Thank you all for the information and advice, this an area i would like to get into, so i might re-look at my budget, and it looks like i have a job on my hands, but it looks like i have joined the correct forum for any help and support I may need.

Thanks

Martin
Old Dec 26, 2011, 6:32 PM   #9

Hi i was surprised you mentioned a Compact system camera ( Sony Nex-5n), would this be except able at a wedding?
Old Dec 26, 2011, 6:51 PM   #10

I reckon it wouldnt be fast enough. Get yourself a decent DSLR if you are determined to go ahead.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote