Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:53 PM   #1

Default Help with camera repair canon 300d

Hi all

New to forum. Looking for any advice for my dilemma. Heres the ugly truth....I bought a used dslr from ebay (gasp!) for under $300 back in July. And I have to say it was a good deal. Two lenses and the 300d. I immediately found what was missing in my photography on full auto. Quicker speeds led to no missed moments or smiles. Sounds like all is well.

BUT recently started to notice that my pictures are dark and need enhancements. I also have a dark spot on the sensor that shows up on uniform backgrounds. It's so bad that my wife who is not a techy or into gadgets is noticing. That's when I know something's up.

So here's my question (two parts):

1. Do I pay the $50 to have it cleaned? Or is this such an outdated model that it's time to upgrade? (300d does not have a live view finder, motion capture, and uses cf cards)

2. If I do upgrade what camera should I look at that can use the canon 52mm ef lenses for under $500?

I will take any advice sent my way! Thanks in advance.
Mike107866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike107866 View Post
1. Do I pay the $50 to have it cleaned? Or is this such an outdated model that it's time to upgrade? (300d does not have a live view finder, motion capture, and uses cf cards)

2. If I do upgrade what camera should I look at that can use the canon 52mm ef lenses for under $500?
First of all, I'm no photography expert, so maybe more experienced members of this forum can help you more than I. But I thought I'd give you my opinion anyway:

1 - I wouldn't have it cleaned, the 300d is a really outdated model

2 - I'd look at the Canon T2i (known as the Canon 550d outside of North America). It's not the newest model in the line (that'd be the Canon T3i/Canon 600d), but it's cheaper that the newer T3i and a much better camera than the 300d. Besides, you can get the T2i (body only, since you already have the lenses) for around $ 500 these days
city_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:14 AM   #3

are the pics darker than they were previously in the same lighting or might the darker pics be from lack of knowledge on how to work with higher ISO's and so on? and does the spot appear in pics when using either lens?

you could clean the sensor yourself, or perhaps you could get a camera store guy to check it out and tell you what the problem is before you decide what to do about it.

here's a newer rebel for under $500 - it's the direction i would go as it's 8 years newer, and cameras have advanced a great deal since your camera was new. this is the canon t3 - or EOS 1100D:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-T3...pd_sim_sbs_p_1
btw, the 15-55mm kit lens it comes with is stabilized.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:56 AM   #4

The 300D is a nice 6MP camera, but I wouldn't spend a lot trying to make it work.

I would reset the camera to the default settings, and if that clears up the exposure problem, buy a sensor cleaning kit and try cleaning it myself. If that didn't work, I'd buy a newer camera, like one of the refurbished Canon dSLRs from Adorama that comes with a 1 year store warranty.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:27 AM   #5

Default Many Thanks

Hey everyone,

thanks for the reply and suggestions. I wanted to share that I have tried to clean the sensor of the camera only to find that the "dark smudge" still remains and I also have dark streaks visible in the view finder while taking pictures.

I used the canon cleaning kit and lens paper, but I can't seem to get everything clean. Is this typical of all DSLRs?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:18 AM   #6

Does the dark spot show up when you're using either lens?

Is the dark spot sharp or blurry?

Does the sharpness of the spot change as you take photos with different apertures?

Can you post a photo that includes the dark spot?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:38 AM   #7

Default Dark spot just above their heads

here's my dark smudge. Pretty visible in all three pics.
Attached Images

Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:48 AM   #8

I think that looks too blurry to be something on the sensor. Does it appear in shots taken with your other lens?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:38 PM   #9

yes it does.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:55 PM   #10

Default Still questioning

So still considering my options here as I looked over some old photographs taken with my 300D. I know its outdated and I know that an upgrade would be logical, but these are two pictures I took outdoors...on full auto...with the camera. I realize that my indoor pictures are too dark on Full auto, but my outdoor photos are very good.

Is this normal? I'm definitely an ameteur when it comes to shooting in Manual mode and adjusting the Aperature, shutter speed, or Iso, but is it a wise investement to get an external flash?
Attached Images