Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:45 AM   #1

Default D90 v G3

A family friend has been scouting around for a new camera.

He has seen 2 he likes but they are at opposite ends of photography equipment really.

The Nikon D90 and a Panasonic G3.

He has tried both out and said he likes them both. Now, being a Canon man i feel lost trying to give him good advice.

He shoots all your typical stuff i guess, family being the main one, indoors etc.

What would you experts advise and why?

Myself, i dont like EVF's but he likes either!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:55 PM   #2

The D90 has less noise and greater dynamic range than the G3, but the G3 has a 16MP sensor while the D90 is just 12MP. The "less noise" part will help out for "indoors", as will the D90's better selection of large aperture lenses and flashes.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:14 PM   #3

D90 and the GH2 make a better comparison than the G3.But for the size and bulk the D90 should win out for low light/indoors work.GH2 is more video oriented apart from stills. It boils down to the sensor size in the end.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:31 PM   #4

Ok, so the D90 is the winner so far.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:09 AM   #5

Is size and weight important to your friend? How about an articulating rear LCD and video ability? The G3 is smaller and lighter, has a fully articulating rear screen (with touch controls if you want them but can ignore if you don't) and will do video better.

I'm not talking down the D90, which remains a great photographic tool despite being three years old. But the G3 is no slouch and your friend's specific needs may require some of its features.

Also, I'm pretty sure the D90 would be used and the G3 would be new, no?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:07 AM   #6

Quote:
He has seen 2 he likes but they are at opposite ends of photography equipment really.
I agree. That is a very, very odd short list, considering the difference in weight.

no help Kelly
Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:18 AM   #7

Actually, no. The D90 is still available new, although I think production stopped in December so it is pipeline availability. Nikon store shown it available body only, while others, like Amazon, show it new with lens. Price is just shy of double the Panasonic G3. As a Canon person, the best way to think of the D90 is the 50D but with some video capbility. The video capability is limited, but it was the first DSLR with video and there are workarounds for some of it's limitations.

Between the two, if you would recommend a 50D, you would recommend a D90. If size is an issue, the G3 does have some advantage, but marginal considering it is a DSLR form rather than the P&S form of Panasonic's other 4/3 offerings. I personally shoot a D90, have considered a 4/3 Panasonic and Olympus (P&S form factor) as a leisure walkaround, just can't get excited about them, and would never consider the Nikon One Series.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 1:41 PM   #8

The image quality of the G3 is arguably the best 4/3 sensor effort yet,with ever improving high iso noise control- the D90 would only surpass the G3's efforts at the highest sensitivities,or an extreme end of a challenging exposure.
It's also lighter and more compact,but still well built- has a better video mode and the articulating LCD.
However,some will prefer the heavier,beefier D90- giving a reassuring feel of longevity.
It also has a vast back catalogue of accessories which cannot be ignored- and is,of course,a very fine camera in its own right.
As for advice- well,most DSLR(or alike) systems are capable of producing great results across a variety of photographic situations,in the right hands. I guess it comes down to which feels right to the individual,which is most comfortable and more intuitive to use- and which system has all the accessories he/she may require in the future.
Given that the two suggested here are quite different- maybe it would be worth looking at a few more options...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 4:14 PM   #9

D90 or 50D is what i mentioned to him. He only looked at the G3 because the guy in Jessops was excited about them! He really wants a DSLR and the 2 i mentioned seemed the best for his budget
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:39 AM   #10

The other photographer at the local newspaper I work for uses a D90 and has used it since it first came out and loves it. He only has the kit lens for it (I believe he told me its an 18-105mm) and loves the lens and it makes some nice general-people-portrait pictures. He is not a sports photographer so I can't comment on that aspect of it. He has taken close to 60,000 images with it and its still working like new.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote