Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:55 PM   #1

Default Dslr overload

I would like to upgrade to a DSLR but after reading about most of the DSLR cameras i am lost due to information overload which hasn't helped me make a decision.
I am open to any make and model really within reason. I want it to last a long time and i don't want to pay a fortune for lenses. I would probably only buy a macro lens and a long, zoom, lens anyway.
Most makes sounds good to me which is why i am lost. I don't want to spend a fortune either, maybe around 500.
I have the Panasonic FZ38 now but find it slow, the lenses were bought for me as presents.
I like to take birds/wildlife, not really into landscapes. I use my photos as references for my artwork. The FZ38 is ok and i like the no changing lenses too often but feel it is time to upgrade now.
I know cameras are personal choice really, and loyalty, but open to suggestions as i know there are some great experienced photographers on here.
Thanks in advance
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2011, 3:51 PM   #2

Not so much loyalty, as a commitment to a system. When you buy a dSLR, you're buying the foundation of a system to which you will add lenses and accessories, the total cost of which could very well come to more than what you apid for the camera. When it comes time to replace the camera, many people stick with the same brand so they can continue to use the rest of the stuff they bought for their old camera. Switching systems can be very expensive and time consuming. There's nothing else that compares in photography, or anything else for that matter. (If your current car is a Vauxhall, switching to a Ford would not be a problem. The pedals will still be in the same place, you can keep buying petrol at the same pump, you can use the same roads, etc.)

A 70-300mm lens is a fairly common and a relatively inexpensive telephoto zoom lens, but for "birds/wildlife", you might find it a bit short. If you were able to get by with your Panasonic FZ38, a 70-300 on an APS-C body will do about as well. But if you want something longer, you'll pay a lot for it. Every manufacturer has some good choices in that range, but they also have some cheap junk that you should avoid. Don't shop solely on price or brand alone.

A good, reasonably priced lens in that range is the Tamron SP 70-300 Di USD, but all by itself it's over 300, and we haven't even talked about the camera yet. If your photos aren't the final product, but just references for your artwork, you might get by with the Tamron 70-300 Di LD, but it's 170, which leaves 330 for the camera. For that you could get a Canon 1100D from Jessops, and you may be able to squeek by with that, but there are better choices. And the Tamron 70-300 Di LD is also a 1:2 macro lens, so that may be all you need.

But that is probably pushing it. How firm is that 500 budget?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 3:54 PM   #3

Also, can you post some of the photos you took with your FZ38, so we can see exactly what you're talking about?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:34 PM   #4

Hi- your budget may be a bit limiting,given what you're after.
Maybe consider the Panny' FZ-150...? MUCH quicker than the FZ38,much better image quality at higher iso's/lower light and generally better specs' throughout.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:17 PM   #5

DSLR selection varies a lot from person to person. If you want to follow the steps of some others, here are links -

http://forums.steves-digicams.com//s...d.php?t=177214

http://forums.steves-digicams.com//s...d.php?t=190751

Kelly Cook
Old Dec 29, 2011, 2:13 AM   #6

Hi for the circa 500 you are limited you may get a canon 1100d but I think you will find it limiting after time so lets skip to a 550d or even a nikon d5100. nikon and canon hve the best choice in lenses. I would o and try these 2 out and then see how you feel as waiting maybe the best thing
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:34 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I have had a lot of problems getting back to this pge so sorry for the late replie.
I have been out looking and handling some cameras, the sales are on now so worth looking. I did like the feel of the Panasonic GH2, felt nice in my hands and wonder if i could use the lenses i have now, the macro and the long lens, would save me buying moe - what do you think?
As for showing some of my photos i took two today so here they are for comments. I still have loads to learn about cameras/photography but i also have a poor memory too. all hlp appreciated and if i don't get sraight back to you its a computer problem again.

Don't know how to upload a photo.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:06 PM   #8

The Panasonic FZ38 has a built-in lens. So those "lenses" you have for it are really the auxiliary conversion type. Which is all you can do when the camera cannot change lenses. Completely interchangeable lenses (such as found on the Panny GH2) are a better solution. Just sell off those old lenses with the FZ38.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:10 PM   #9

LOL, thanks but i just bought those lenses a few months ago. I doubt i would get much for them if i sold them.
I managed to post 3 photos in the Panasonic forum but cannot manage it here unfortunately. Take a look and let me know your thoughs. Thanks E.

Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:23 PM   #10

I was hoping to see the EXIF data so I could confirm that the 70-300mm focal length lens would do what you're accustomed to with your FZ38, but that didn't happen. And if you used a conversion lens, the EXIF data wouldn't have told me anything anyway.