Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:36 PM   #11

G'day Eysha

As far as I know - yes, all your FZ35 stuff will transpose to the FZ100/150
You will need a new panny accessory adapter [don't know its number at the moment] as the body size is different from the fz28/35, however the lens barrel now will accept 52mm filters screwed directly onto the lens [slr camera style]

We [she] have an fz100 [and I borrow it when she's not looking]
All our filters & closeup lenses are 55mm dia from the FZ28/35 lens adapter, so we've bought 1/2-dozen 52 > 55mm step-up rings [at $3 each] to fit onto each filter / closeup lens. So now these items just screw directly onto the fz100 lens barrel

however...
the big & heavy 0,7x wide-angle accessory lens will need a new panny lens adapter before we can use it on the fz100. It is so heavy that if I tried to put it directly onto the movable lens barrel, its weight would burn out the zoom/focus motor

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:37 AM   #12

Thanks for the info Phil, very useful. I am new to this adaptor thing so don't understand it all and not sure about step up rings either, lol. I am int he UK so not sure of the differences.

however...
the big & heavy 0,7x wide-angle accessory lens will need a new panny lens adapter before we can use it on the fz100. It is so heavy that if I tried to put it directly onto the movable lens barrel, its weight would burn out the zoom/focus motor

Didn't get that bit either, now i feel thick,lol.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:38 AM   #13

This is so funny we are in the exact boat. Except we have only had the fz35 for 9 months, just very unhappy with it. The picture quality isn't even close to our old canon is4 it replaced.

My wife is obsessed with photography right now. She wants to start using more of the creative features of the camera such as the manual controls. What does everybody think, will she be happy going to a Canon SX40 or should we look at a DSLR? The problem is she loves zoom lenses, A new camera body plus a zoom is kind of expensive for us. I really didn't want to go over the $400 for the sx40, but if she isn't going to be happy..
dansmail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:46 AM   #14

I have never been totally happy with the FZ38 either to be honest, the picture quality doesn't come close to my old Olympus c-765, which is old now. I just dug it out today and took a couple of shots and although it's only a 4 meg the quality is nice and clear so i am rethinking now. I always thought i was to blame, and i am sure i am at times, but not all the time surely. I have never been able to get to grips with the FZ either for some reason and often wish i hadn't bout it but after having invested in it plus the zoom and macro lenses i feel i have to put up with it as if i sell it i wouldn't get much back and i cannot afford to loose on it, finances re very tight as i am unemployed.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:29 PM   #15

The FZ-150 is quite a step up in image quality over the FZ35/3845/100 etc...
Slight upgrades to the glass,processing speed,burst modes(and autofocus speed) and a few minor tweaks to the body(buttons) all make the FZ-150 their best FZ yet....

dansmail26- I currently own the SX40 and am very happy with the IQ- and I traded in an SLR to purchase it. I can pretty much shoot anything I want- and stick it in a coat pocket..!! What more could I ask...?!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:50 PM   #16

Thanks. I am sorry it's kind of in two places, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I started my own thread on questions about dslr, sx40, etc. "superzoom or basic dslr".
dansmail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:16 PM   #17

G'day Eisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
.... I am new to this adaptor thing so don't understand it all and not sure about step up rings either....
I can fully understand > when things are new & different, they don't always make sense immediately > means you're completely normal

A "step-up ring" is a small donut-shaped metal ring with 2 screw threads of 2 different sizes. This sketch is my attempt to show what one would look like if cut in half

It would be referred to as say, 49mm to 58mm, meaning the small size is 49mm and the large size is 58mm > ie- it would allow someone to use a 58mm filter onto a camera lens which was meant to use 49mm filters

As to the 'other' bit about heavy lenses ...

Below is a site selling lens adapters for fixed-lens zoom cameras
They are selling both wide-angle lenses, shown as "0,7x" and telephoto lenses, shown as "1,7x and 2,2x". For us though, at the bottom of their display is some samples of the camera to lens adapters they offer & we need to make it all work together

http://raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/dcr2025pro/index.htm

For us as photo enthusiasts-
we may have a camera of 12x zoom where the camera maker tells us that "the lens is equivalent to 24mm to 288mm in film camera terms"

So if we got an 0,7x lens adapter [for indoors stuff in tight spaces], we would alter the camera's wide-angle end from 24mm to 16mm in film-camera terms, and
if we got an 2,2x lens adapter [for wildlife stuff], our 12x zoom of 288mm would become 630mm in film-camera terms

I hope that this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:23 PM   #18

Thanks Ozzie, the film to digital thing confusses me so a lot to learn. E.

Old Jan 9, 2012, 8:30 PM   #19

Well, the FZ150 is a really good camera. But to you who are complaining about the FZ-35: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...s-fz-35-a.html
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:14 AM   #20

I wasn't complainig but i was curious about the newer cameras.
What is the difference between the FZ100 and the FZ150 apart from the 12-14 megapixels - which is the best one and why?