Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 10, 2012, 2:25 PM   #21

G'day eisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
What is the difference between the FZ100 and the FZ150 apart from the 12-14 megapixels - which is the best one and why?
We have an fz100 and a G2 in the household ...
Not 100% sure about all the differences between the -100 & the -150, but Panny are trying to make their 'top' cameras very similar to each other so they can share viewing systems & button layout etc

Due to the issues with noise in "small-sensor" cameras, I have chosen to downsize my megapixels to try to avoid it ... so I went for the G2 at 12mpx rather than the newer camera at 14mpx

As the largest print I make for household use is about 11" x 14", I only need about 8mpx to achieve it, so 10-12mpx gives me some spare capacity for cropping etc. Going to a 15-20mpx sensor would not achieve anything for me for this reason. Others here may have very different reasons for going 'up' the mpx list

Hope this helps
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:47 AM   #22

Haven't been back to this in a few days, but thanks again, and I'm glad to see some good conversation come from it.

After seeing what most of you have to say and doing a little more reading, I think you're probably right in that I'm probably better off with something like the FZ-150, if for no other reason than that I won't be able to afford the range of lenses I'd want with something with interchangable lenses. The image quality from the fz35 (while I see and understand how it could be better) is "good enough" for me about 85% of the time (and I'm guessing that usually when it isn't it's my fault and not the camera's). What really started me down the road of thinking about a m4/3 was the idea of getting a wide prime lens for low light and/or landscapes, so maybe something like that's in my future to go alongside.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:36 PM   #23

G'day again Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
..... What really started me down the road of thinking about a m4/3 was the idea of getting a wide prime lens for low light and/or landscapes....
Chase up other recent threads on using wide angle &/or tele accessory lenses on your FZ

Regards, Phil
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:02 AM   #24

Hey guys,

I know it's been a few months, but it was great bouncing ideas off of you guys and I thought I'd let you where I stand.

As it turns out I went in a completely different direction and picked up a refurbished E-PL2. I know it goes against suggestions--the suggestions were good, but honestly I found (what seemed to me to be) an incredible bargain, and I couldn't see any reason not to give it a try (even if I decide I don't like it). It should come in the mail soon. In the meantime (and for a while still probably) I'll also have the FZ-35 to go alongside.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:08 PM   #25

G'day Sammy

Nice to hear back from you ~ like a pair of shoes, whatever camera you choose must be a neat fit for you & your needs

For others posting here - how are you all going??
Regards, Phil
Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day Sammy

Nice to hear back from you ~ like a pair of shoes, whatever camera you choose must be a neat fit for you & your needs

For others posting here - how are you all going??
Regards, Phil
Thanks.

I think it will work out, but I'll be honest and say that the reason I landed on this one specifically ($280 US) was the price. I feel like it gives me a little leeway to experiment (and add some more lenses sooner than I was expecting). In the end I thought it sounded worth it, considering everything.

I guess the next thing is that I'll need some initial accessories. I'll definitely need an extra battery and a filter. I THINK my light tripod (SLIK Sprint Pro) will still hold up to this unless I get into crazy big lenses. Hood? I'm not sure.

Anyhow, I'm rambling. Ha.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:20 PM   #27

Hmm . . . so I found a great deal on the Panasonic 45-200 and jumped on it. Am I going to be sorry that I didn't hold back and wait for one of the Olympus'? I'm sure it will WORK but I don't know how the weight/quality/double-IS will affect things. Or if there's something that I'm missing here that made it what looked like a good deal (I'd mention the vendor here but I don't know if that's a no-no).

Which IS to use, in the body or the lens?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 3:17 PM   #28

G'day Sammy

If the Oly is anything like my old pentax, both need to be turned -on- and the camera takes it from there

Regards, Phil