Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:39 AM   #1

Default Thinking of moving up from FZ-35

Hi everyone,

I'm glad I've found your forum here.

I've had the FZ-35 for about two years now, and while I still like it and I've learned a lot using it, I'm also frustrated at times by some of the limitations I think I'm bumping up against (low light, for example). I'm sure a lot of the issues with what I'm doing and not the camera, of course.

I mainly use it when out hiking, and while the zoom is nice I tend to shoot a lot of landscape shots as well.

I'd be totally new to the world of multiple lenses and such, and thought that a logical step up would be to either Panasonic's G3 or the GH-2. The interface looks much the same to me, and that would be one less thing to learn. At this point, I'm leaning towards the G3, as while I think I'd like the GH2 better, I don't know if it'd be $400 worth of better, if you know what I mean. So I guess I have a few questions:

1). Am I way off on my line of thinking here? Is there something totally different I should be looking at?
2). How similar are the controls on the G3 of GH2 to what I am used to with the FZ35? I read reviews, but was wondering if there was anything I would miss interface-wise if I chose the G3. Normally, I shoot in either Aperture or Shutter priority and try to keep it in ISO80 if it's possible (maybe one of my mistakes, I don't know, but the images seem to look less noisy that way). I tend to not mess with the different scene modes (maybe I'm missing out).
3). As I said, I'm despite doing some reading I'm totally inexperienced in regards to different lenses and such. I read that the kit lens with the G3 is not that great . . . but then again, moving up like I am I might be just thrilled with it. I don't know how many lenses are in the budget right now, so go with the kit or just get a body and a separate lens?
4). Would you recommend trading in the FZ-35? I'd like to keep everything but the trade-in money could make the difference. I know that the 35 is a few models outdated though, so it might not be worth it.

Haha, I'm sure I could think of more questions but I should get back to work. Thanks.

-sk
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2011, 2:41 PM   #2

G'day Sammy

Firstly -welcome to Steves ... we'll do our best to "confuse" you with information & other stuff

In our household we have the FZ35, the FZ100 that just replaced an FZ28 that decided to go for a swim, 2x G2s + various lenses and a Pentax + various lenses

Each camera & lenses has its +'s and its -'s
The Pentax & its lenses were bought 2? years ago and are on their way 'out' as they are too big & heavy for my fingers. Good kit undoubtedly, but it does not suit me

The G2 now takes its place for hi-quality imagery [I print 11 x 14's & 12 x 30" wide stitched-image panos]

What I -do- find is that the FZ goes with me most of the time as it's so convenient, but as you say, it's showing its age with several of its features. So it's about to be updated with an FZ100/150 ["she" doesn't appreciate me pinching her -100 whenever I'm off for a bit of bushwalking]

I would suggest you continue to look & ask Qs here and elsewhere ... pop into your local camera shop and handle the 'possibilities'. Only -you- can make the final decision

Hope this helps in some way
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 5:55 PM   #3

The Panny FZ-150 would be quite an upgrade over your FZ35.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...mix_DMC_FZ150/

SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:53 AM   #4

Thanks guys.

Ozzie, how much of a pain is it to carry around the G2+stuff as opposed to the 35? That's of course one consideration. Sounds like you have fun though.

Simon, for some reason, I wasn't even thinking of the newer FZ models, but it does seem like a natural upgrade. I'm glad you mentioned this as it's well worth looking into for me. I guess I was thinking more of getting something a little better at capturing indoor/night shots, but you're right in that it's just nice to have the versatility in a relatively compact package. I don't know how many lenses I would be able to invest in at first. It's all trade-offs, of course . . . I at least know enough to know that.

Maybe as we get closer to tax return time, we'll see a price drop that will make up my mind for me.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Dec 30, 2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:28 PM   #5

I was looking at the GH2 recently and like the feel of it in my hands but could i use my lenses from my FZ38 on it? I have the macro and the long lense and don't want to buy more so that is a consideration for me. Any ideas folks?

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:10 PM   #6

No I don't have the GH2, but if personally for my 35 I have a Raynox 250 (which I like and use) macro and the Olympus teleconverter (which I don't really think is worth carrying around as it turns out). My guess is that the Raynox will work if you really wanted and the other won't. If you have filters they'll probably be different sizes too.

I realize that clipping the Raynox onto the end of an interchangeable lens isn't a perfect solution, but for fun/dabbling my guess is that will do.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Dec 30, 2011 at 1:15 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:45 PM   #7

G'day again sammy

Several thoughts ..
carting around several lenses + accessories certainly gives better 'empirical/measurable' sharpness than a superzoom will offer etc etc, but is the downside of having an SLR - any SLR: however having an FZ -all-in-one- provides a level of convenience that SLR owners can never achieve

As you now comment upon your accessories for the existing FZ35, my 100% for you is to get an FZ100 or FZ150 and don't look at other cameras

Regards, Phil

Last edited by Ozzie_Traveller; Dec 30, 2011 at 1:47 PM.
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day again sammy

Several thoughts ..
carting around several lenses + accessories certainly gives better 'empirical/measurable' sharpness than a superzoom will offer etc etc, but is the downside of having an SLR - any SLR: however having an FZ -all-in-one- provides a level of convenience that SLR owners can never achieve

As you now comment upon your accessories for the existing FZ35, my 100% for you is to get an FZ100 or FZ150 and don't look at other cameras

Regards, Phil
Thanks again Phil.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think that this is the way to go. I wish that it were a little better with low light situations, but of course you're going to have a little give-and-take no matter what you choose. The more I read up on the 150 though, the more I'm liking the idea.

And, heh, I just need to face it--the big bottleneck for the quality of the pictures probably isn't in the camera but the guy behind it anyhow.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:55 PM   #9

The bigger cameras, even the 4/3 size sensor size, really shine if you are serious about post processing. For casual out-of-the-camera results, point-and-shoots are plenty good enough. Really depends on how serious you are. And lots of us end up with a interchangeable lens camera + a compact as well, 'cuz they both have their place.

Kelly Cook
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:43 PM   #10

I did look at the FZ150 and liked it a lot. My one question would be is that i have the FZ38 so would it be worth getting the FZ150 or 100 and would the lenses i have bought for the FZ38 be useable on the 150 or 100?
Opps thats two quesions.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote