Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:17 PM   #1

Default which lens to go for

Hi there,

I would like to step up my photography by getting a new DSLR. I currently use a Lumix FZ40 and I would like to own the Nikon D7000, hope thats a good choice Well the thing which made me to come here is, weather I should go for the kit lens or for the Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3, which costs about the same as the 18-105 kit lens. I don't want to spend the premium on a Nikon 18-200 lens even though it has VR. But if I struggle I would be able to stretch my budget for the Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 simply for its greater reach and versatility and the image stabilization. But I really want to know that weather its a wise decision to go for the Tamron glasses instead of the Kit lens!
nidhin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:06 PM   #2
Administrator

The Tamron 18-200mm is not a very good lens.

If you really want a "super zoom" type lens, the Tamron 18-270mm is better (which is why it costs more). But, anytime you buy a lens with that much focal range from wide to long, you're going to be compromising image quality in some areas (distortion, sharpness, vignetting, etc.)

Between the lenses you're looking at, the Nikon 18-105mm kit lens will give you the best image quality.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:27 PM   #3

True that.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 8:54 PM   #4

So it would be better to stick with the kit lens. No problem I am ready to sacrifice some focal range for a better lens. I was also going to buy a 50mm f1.8 prime lens along with the kit. Can you suggest a good telephoto lens which would be under $600.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 3:14 AM   #5

what do you shoot
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 5:33 AM   #6

Well now I mainly shoot portrait, landscape and some wildlife, I want to start shooting at low light thats why I am planning on buying the 50mm f1.8 prime lens but I need something for shooting wildlife on a budget, which is dificult , I know that but even then it would be great to know which lens is best among the low priced ones.

And I want your opinion on the camera, is Nikon D7000 a good camera for an amateur like me? My main concerns are low light shooting, videography, good solid construction, in that order.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 6:43 AM   #7

The best telephoto lens at up to twice the price is the $165 Tamron 70-300 Di LD. After that, the $399 Tamron 70-300 SP Di USD is better and, on your Nikon, it's stabilized. After that, there's the $600 Nikon 70-300 AF-S VR.

As for the D7000, it's an excellent camera, but the D5100 is almost as good, though you give up something in terms of construction and video recording.

Last edited by TCav; Dec 30, 2011 at 9:26 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:47 AM   #8

Now that I have decided to go for the $600 Nikon 70-300 AF-S VR, I am getting confused with the prime lens. I am now more inclined towards the 1.4d rather the 1.8d which I actually wanted to buy. Is it worth the extra investment as I hear lots of mixed comments abt the sharpness of 1.4d when compared to its counterpart?