Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:37 AM   #1

Default Do I want a mirrorless camera?

Good morning.

I know it has been a while since I posted, but I wanted to come somewhere where I know I could get (hopefully) unbiased opinions.

I haven't been very active in photography as I once was. My schedule just doesn't allow me to get out and shoot, even for fun.

A little about my background:

I started with a Nikon D70 and got a D200 shortly after it came out. I did run a wedding & portrait business for about three years, but then I shut it down (don't ask and that's not the point of this post).

I now have a D200 and my only lens is a TAMRON SP AF 17-50mm 2.8 IF XR. I just can't afford to feed NAS (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome).

I also have a Panasonic TZ5

At one time I did have a Fuji Film Finepix. I don't recall the model number, but it was something very similar to the S4000.

I'm intrigued by the mirrorless cameras (Nikon V1), but that would also require purchasing additional lenses, flash, accessories, etc... If I purchased one, I would probably have to sell the D200 and the P & S. I do have a smartphone, but the camera on the smartphone doesn't do optical zoom.

If I was going to have just one camera to carry around and be my camera for everything (family, events, vacation, walk-about, HDR, low light, portraits, night shooting, concerts, etc...) what would you do?

I could possibly hold on to the P & S (because of the 10x lens, flash, etc...) but I'd want something with "SLR" capabilities.

FWIW, my first digital P & S was a Panasonic FZ1. I loved that camera!

Any recommendations?

Thank you
Photog4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:07 AM   #2

Good morning,

I'm not going to make any specific recommendations as to what camera brand you should consider as all have their pluses and minuses. Rather, my suggestion is to take a minute and read an article written not too long ago by Thom Hogan about the gains and losses of going into a mirror less camera system. It's a good start:
http://www.sansmirror.com/articles/gain-and-loss.html

In the interest of full disclosure, I own and use 2 m43 cameras manufactured by Olympus, the E-PL1 and E-P2. They both meet my needs as far as a small lightweight camera when all I want to do is some street shooting or traveling about.
I also have and use a Nikon D7000 for those situations where the mirrorless cameras just don't perform as well.

Others, no doubt, will chime in and give you their thoughts. So, I'll leave it at that for the moment.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:59 AM   #3

Zig:

Thank you for your reply. I'm going to read the byThom article over lunch.

I think that something like the Canon PowerShot SX40 or FujiFilm FinePix S4000 (series) would probably work. I know that there are new cameras coming out in February/March (FujiFilm FinePix S4500), at this point I should wait for those. The SX40 looks nice!

My reasoning for replacing the SLR:

I don't have the ca$hflow to buy additional lenses. All I have is the 17-50 and that just doesn't always work in every situation.

I like the Panny. I guess if I had to have just one camera and only one camera, then I would choose the Panny. If I was going to replace the D200, then I would go with something like the SX40.

My smartphone makes a good "walk-around" camera, but it doesn't have optical zoom.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:30 PM   #4

Zig:

Thank you for the link. I just read the article and a mirrorless solution is not what I'm looking for.

I think holding on to my P & S will suit my needs for now, but eventually, I may replace both the P & S and the SLR with something like the Canon SX40.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:01 PM   #5

Hi,

The mirrorless concept is not the answer for everyone. I'm happy that you found out it wasn't for you prior to your investing money into one.

And yes, there will be other camera announcements at the upcoming shows in Jan-Feb. To me, this is a good time to just wait and see what the Camera companies have cooked up for us.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:15 PM   #6

I own the Canon SX40hs and find it a very capable performer indeed.
24-840mm zoom,effective image stabiliser,various movie modes(including full HD),tilt/swivel LCD,usual PSAM modes,flash hotshoe,i-contrast(very effective)- and a variety of customisable parameters in camera to suit your own preferences.
It's probably not the best "handling" camera out there,with a slightly "clumsy" arrangement of buttons- but once you're used to it(much like any other)it's just fine.
The image quality,in my humble opinion,is as good as it currently gets for a "bridge" camera.
However- if you need to shoot RAW(which the SX40 doesn't) and you want serious speed(though the Canon's no slouch),then maybe the Panasonic FZ-150 is the one to look at- with class leading autofocus speed,over 10fps burst shooting- and even more impressive 5.5fps with autofocus..!! It is also laid out better than the Canon- and even more impressive video capabilities(and a socket for external mic..).
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote