Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:37 PM   #11

I wanted to be under $500. I was looking at refurbed d3100 or d5000's.

I just don't want to waste the money like I did on the fx35!
dansmail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:43 PM   #12

well either of those camera will give you better manual mode. And higher image quality. If you are in the US, I would look at a canon refurbed at adorama.com, they give you a 1 year return to adorama warranty, all the other refurb only give you 90 days.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:17 PM   #13

Do you mean like the Rebel t3?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:02 PM   #14

the canon t3i,t2i, t1i, t3 any canon product they have as a canon refurb. They come from canon not a 3rd party. And Adorama gives you a 1 year warranty.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:36 AM   #15

I had a Pentax K-x, then switched to a Sony A55, mostly to take sports pics. I had the FZ28, sold it and got an SX30, and now have a Panasonic FZ47.
I liked the picture quality of the FZ28, similar to that of the FZ35, I think. The SX30 was good up to ISO 200, then got very noisy. From what I have heard, the SX40 is much better at ISO 400 and 800 and above.
Some people are very happy with the FZ35. Others are more demanding. What if you kept your FZ35 for long shots and got something like the Sony Nex-3 or Nex 5 with the Kit lens? The former was selling for less than $400 online yesterday.
A good 70-300mm lens for your DSLR will cost over $400 by itself. I heard some people like the Sony HX100v. It's got a great zoom range of 27-810mm, too.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:19 PM   #16

Well this will be interesting. On Craigslist someone just posted a Rebel Xsi for $250 with the factory lens and an official Canon bag. I called him and he said he has only had it 8 months or so.
I guess I will need to spend another $150-200 for a longer zoom after I make sure this camera is a good one.
My thought was even if I don't like it I won't lose money selling it.

Good move???
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:35 PM   #17

If it's in good condition/working order,with battery/charger etc and if it has the "IS" 18-55 lens,then I guess you can't really go wrong.
When you say "he" has had it 8 months- is that from new? Is he the original owner?
Does he have any documentation to verify this..?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:01 PM   #18

I know I am gambling, I don't think he has the documentation. He 'seems' very legit on the phone. He also did remove the ad as soon as I promised I would meet him tonight (it's about an hour drive so I got him to agree to hold it for me, he trusted me). It does have battery, charger, strap, a $50 case and all cables. I didn't ask about the is lens.
Fingers crossed he's legit, but I do have a feeling he is.

Any good recommendations on a zoom? I'm thinking 50-70 mm up to at least 200 mm.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 3:02 PM   #19

G'day again Dan

Lots of helpful stuff coming your way ~ one of the beauties of the forum where helpful info etc etc comes across so readily. I trust that it all helps you as well

I make comparisons of camera buying as much the same as buying a pair of shoes ...
Shoes come in all shapes & sizes, and shoes are shoes are shoes
The -BUT- is that they have to suit your feet

A Camera is the same - we can describe different models and their features, but until you hold it and see how heavy / how it fits in your fingers / how is the viewfinder / how do the menus & shortcut buttons work for you / etc etc ... all of our comments are only helping you "find the shoeshop" sort of thing

I invite you to look at both the cameras you have shortlisted, sit down in the camera shop & spend 1/2-hour fiddling with each and getting to know them ... then choosing the one that suits you best. Don't worry about whether it's got 10x or 20x or whatever zoom

Then have fun with it and enjoy more of that wonderful world we all enjoy as well

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:10 PM   #20

If you don't want to spend more than $500 for a body and lenses, you probably won't get images that will be as good as what you get from a $400 superzoom. $500 means slow, cheap lenses which won't do well, regardless of whether you buy a new, refurbished or used body.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote