Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:06 PM   #21

We got the xsi and sold the fz35 tonight! Good night!
-The lens is the is version.
My wife has been walking around the house for the last hour just taking pictures of everything imaginable, poor dog can't see with all the pictures she's taken of her.

Any recommendations for zooms to look at? Should I purchase the ef-s versions or stick to just the ef?

I think I am going to our local camera shop and ask about lessons on it for her there are so many options. The guy I bought it from didn't even know it has live view.
dansmail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:09 PM   #22

Funny thing. I've had very good results with my slow cheap DSLR kit lenses. Easily as good as the "fast" Canon superzoom point-and-shoot I used to own. And the DSLR images take RAW editing just fine.

Kelly Cook
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansmail26 View Post
Any recommendations for zooms to look at?
What do you want to shoot?

Quote:
Should I purchase the ef-s versions or stick to just the ef?
Canon's EF-S lenses are exclusively for Canon's dSLRs with the smaller APS-C size image sensor. They don't project an image large enough to cover 'Full Frame' or even APS-H size sensors. (The same is true of Sigma's DC, Tamron's Di II, and Tokina's DX lenses, btw.) All lenses for the Canon EF mount will work fine on your XSi. It's just that some of them won't work on Canon's larger bodies.

Quote:
I think I am going to our local camera shop and ask about lessons on it for her there are so many options.
Canon has some on-line tutorials of their own that you might want to consider before you pay someone for the same information. Check out http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...rning-consumer

And don't overlook your local community college.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:26 AM   #24

Canon's EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens is a decent and very inexpensive lens for the range you mention.
Hope you enjoy your XSi...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:31 PM   #25

Thanks everyone for the help! My wife checked out her first pics on the computer and is amazed at the difference from the fz35!!!! Of course she's already b34tching that she needs a zoom though..
Her main use of the zoom will be for facial closeups, along with extended range shots of animals in our back yard (deer) and shots of the special ed kids she works with during their ice skating sessions.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 1:37 PM   #26

For sports/action/wildlife, I don't think the Canon 55-250 IS is a good idea. For a little more money, I think either the Tamron 70-300 SP Di VC USD or the Canon 70-300 IS USM would be a better choice.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 1:52 PM   #27

Sorry for newbie question, what is the difference in the two Canon zooms (other than focal length)? What does USM mean?
There is a pretty big jump up in cost, the 55-250 is $162 and the other two are $399 - but I don't want to waste the money on a cheap one.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 2:51 PM   #28

USM is "UltraSonic Motor". The 55-250 doesn't focus very quickly, which is important when tracking sports/action/wildlife, especially when the subject is going toward or away from you.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 6:49 PM   #29

This thread started as a SX40/SLR $500 max.... lol...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:15 PM   #30

I find it surprising to hear you weren't pleased with the image quality of the FZ-35.... you should go into the Panasonic/Leica forum and look at some of the images shot there... The FZ series of camera's are quite popular, the newest FZ-150 being quite popular.
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote