Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:33 PM   #1
IxB

Default Canon Rebel XS vs XSi (Used)?

Hi, I'm looking for a used DSLR on a student budget. Just starting to get interested in photography, and would like a serviceable model I can trade up within a year or so once I figure out what I want. Two options from Craigslist:

Canon XS $340ish
Canon EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 III Lens,
original battery, charger, box and manuals
owner claims shutter count is 2,000
bought new, might be able to get the purchase receipt

VS

Canon XSi $300ish
Canon EF-S 18-55MM IS lens with 58mm UV filter
original battery, charger, box and manuals
owner claims shutter count is around 15,000
bought new but doesn't have the original receipt

Any advice? I would prefer the XSi since it's a good model but the shutter count is much higher.

Not sure if I should worry about warranty coverage, or whether the original receipt will even get me warranty. I could shop on e-bay and buy their warranty... again, not sure if that's recommended. Maybe I could get it checked for defects at a local camera store for a fee?

Any comments appreciated!! Thanks
IxB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:45 PM   #2

You're taking a chance when buying a used dSLR. There's no way to know how much use and abuse it's received. Buying something off CraigsList means that, if it fails within a week, you're out of luck. Adorama has factory refurbished Canon dSLRs with a 1 year warranty, for not a lot more than you're looking at for a used one without a warranty. They have Canon XS with the stabilized 18-55 IS lens (which is better and more useable than the unstabilized 35-80 you're looking at) for $400. See http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXSKBR.html
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:59 PM   #3
Administrator

Hey IxB

It looks like you posted the same thing twice. The posts were delayed from showing up in the forums because our Spam Filter flagged them for moderation.

That sometimes happens with brand new members with camera models and prices in posts, as the posting pattern looks similar to what spammers would post, and we have a "learning" spam post engine that tries to flag posts that are suspicious for moderation (and it sometimes gets it wrong).

So, my apologies for the inconvenience with your postings being delayed. I approved your original post and deleted the second one as a duplicate.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:31 PM   #4
IxB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
You're taking a chance when buying a used dSLR. There's no way to know how much use and abuse it's received. Buying something off CraigsList means that, if it fails within a week, you're out of luck. Adorama has factory refurbished Canon dSLRs with a 1 year warranty, for not a lot more than you're looking at for a used one without a warranty. They have Canon XS with the stabilized 18-55 IS lens (which is better and more useable than the unstabilized 35-80 you're looking at) for $400. See http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXSKBR.html
Thanks! One thing though -- does a purchase from Adorama qualify for Canon's loyalty trade-up program later? Or in order to do that, do I have to buy from Canon direct? Canon does have pretty much the same product for $352+tax, but only a 90-day warranty.
IxB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:28 PM   #5

I agree with TCav about "factory refurbished" being better than eBay/Craiglist.
Make sure you also take a look at Canon's own refurbished cameras store:
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs..._lowPrice_list

Right now, they have a Rebel XS with the 18-55 IS lens for just $ 352:
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...0051_204269_-1
city_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:47 PM   #6

I traded an old 35mm p&s in on the loyalty program for my 60D. The lady on the phone told me that all I needed was a Canon model that would be relatively difficult to support with available resources. She said that basically meant any film model would do. Of course, I have a couple film Canons, but nothing I really wanted to give up, so I found the aforementioned camera on the Bay for a few bucks (free shipping, too) and just sent that back in.
I almost feel better about my refurb than a new camera, as the refurbs get a bit more QC attention on the way out.
spacer is offline   Reply With Quote