Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 7, 2012, 1:44 AM   #1

Default Nikon D7K or Canon 60D or other options??

Hello good people. Some years ago this forum helped me choose the right camera and now im at it again, hoping for some great decisive advice.

Here is the current dilemma. I am in a need of a camera that is capable of great results in 2 key areas: 1. shooting fast action dogs outdoors, and 2. shooting staged portraits of dogs indoors. This will be the primary purpose of the camera as for other everyday casual photos i have a m4/3 that i am satisfied with.

Basically, i guess, i need a good all-rounder with fast AF and solid fps for action but also something that could produce above average results (in terms of color/detail etc.) on indoor portrait shots. Indoor, i would be using a set up with backgrounds, external flash etc. One note about outdoor photos is that here in Norway, during the long winter months, the days are very short, the sun trails very low in the sky and often doesnt give optimal lighting (hence the need for a good high ISO capability i suppose).

On to myself, i am a beginner photographer, however i consider myself familiar with general photography concepts. I have been taking photos for some years now, i read books and guides. Basically i am just eager to get the right camera and lenses so i could go out and start experimenting and getting better.

I am somewhat (external flash and 3 inexpensive lenses) committed to nikon, but thats not deep enough that i couldn't switch to other brands for the right cam. I have a years old D80 which is just fine but i feel its not giving me enough speed on the action shots and also its in a need of a sensor cleaning that the cost of i would rather commit to a purchase of new camera. I have a budget of about 2000 USD or 1500 euro, which im hoping could get me a camera + 2 lenses that could fulfill my needs.
Nikon D7000 and Canon 60D are not the only choices but they are in the ballpark pricewise and seem to be solid middle of the line all round cameras.

I am really looking forward to advice/suggestions from the gurus on this forum, not just on the cameras but also possible matching lenses.

Thanks in advance,

Sasha

PS. I did read other threads including the recent one on 60d vs d7000, and i am familiar with those cameras. I know they are both great and its a matter of preference, personally i held both of them and like the ergonomics of both, i have experience only with nikon but i am open to change if its worth it. I would like to hear some advice/comparisons on lenses that would be right for my purposes, as well as some other camera models perhaps.

Last edited by sasaboss; Jan 7, 2012 at 6:40 AM.
sasaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:58 AM   #2

It seems to me that either of those cameras would do well for you. They are both very capable of good results for what you say you want to do. I'll add that it's my understanding that, for portraiture, Nikon's flash system has an edge over Canon's.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:30 AM   #3

Thanks tcav, good to know about flashes although the flash i got is a nissin 622 m2 for nikon so not quite as good as nikon speedlights.

I am also interested in opinions how some older cameras would compare. I follow the used market and have been thinking that maybe i could get a better value getting an older camera and investing in lenses. D90, D300, 40D can all be found used.

Speaking of lenses, i have a nikon 50mm 1.8 and im thinking that it would be a good choice for portraits of dogs. For outdoor action (if i stick with nikon), i was thinking about getting something like Nikon 55-300 or 70-300mm VR. Would those be good choices as far as nikon goes?
Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:42 AM   #4

Hi,

As has been mentioned, either cameras will serve your purposes quite nicely.
Some things to consider are ergonomics, the user interface and the controls & buttons found on the body. I make no recommendations but will share with you my experience

I recently picked up a D7000 and made a point of trying it out first hand to ensure that I would be happy with all the controls, feature set, and get a handle on the user interface.

As for buying used, I upgraded from the D90 and can share that the low light performance of the D7000 is a significant improvement over the D90 due to the improved sensor. Also, the AF system is far more sophisticated-the main reason I upgraded.

I shoot a lot of birds in flight and tend to shoot in the early morning and late evening. For my needs, I picked up a 70-200mm f2.8 lens. the combination of the fast aperture and the quality of the glass makes this lens a extremely good performer. If your shooting your dogs in better light and should you decide to go with Nikon, I would recommend the 70-300mm VR lens. It should perform quite well for your needs.

If you're interested, you can take a look at some images captured using the D7000 in my smugmug galleries site.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:49 AM   #5

Since you've already have Nikon lens, I think the choice is clearer.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:21 PM   #6

Good stuff zig-123. Those birds in flight pics are awesome, i would love it if i could come anywhere close to that in sharpness on my dog pictures. However the lens you are using is top notch and way out of my budget. I think i will give it a shot with the 70-300 VR, it will have to suffice.

D7000 is definately the optimal choice, however they are pretty hard to find right now, unless i would overpay by about 25% which i dont want to do.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasaboss View Post
Good stuff zig-123. Those birds in flight pics are awesome, i would love it if i could come anywhere close to that in sharpness on my dog pictures. However the lens you are using is top notch and way out of my budget. I think i will give it a shot with the 70-300 VR, it will have to suffice.

D7000 is definately the optimal choice, however they are pretty hard to find right now, unless i would overpay by about 25% which i dont want to do.
Hi,

Thanks for the kind comments.

You might try considering at a factory refurbed Nikon D7000 with a 1year warranty included. It is currently available at Ritz Camera for $999.00
http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/RI....htm?bct=t1134

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 1:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the kind comments.

You might try considering at a factory refurbed Nikon D7000 with a 1year warranty included. It is currently available at Ritz Camera for $999.00
http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/RI....htm?bct=t1134

Zig
Thanks for the tip but i live in Norway and Norwegians are as stingy as can be with import taxes. On that 999$ they would kindly stick me with a 500$ customs fee.. Ill find one here, its just a matter of time till it comes in stock at a normal price.

On a side note, do you (or someone else) have any experience with an nikon D300, from the perspective of my needs?
Old Jan 7, 2012, 2:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasaboss View Post
Thanks for the tip but i live in Norway and Norwegians are as stingy as can be with import taxes. On that 999$ they would kindly stick me with a 500$ customs fee.. Ill find one here, its just a matter of time till it comes in stock at a normal price.

On a side note, do you (or someone else) have any experience with an nikon D300, from the perspective of my needs?
My apologies. I always take for granted that I'm talking to someone in the states. Don't know why- just a quirk.

As to your question about the D300s, I've a good friend who owns one and is very happy with it. It is a great camera with admittedly, a faster buffer than the D7000. However, the D7000 has the best cropped sensor currently installed in any of the Nikon cameras including the D300s. Also, D300s as good I.Q. up until ISO3200. With the D7000, you can use ISO6400 and get good quality
prints. Also, not got be overlooked, the D300s while having a faster buffer, is a
12mp camera while the D7000 has a 16mp sensor. I'm sure part of the reason it is a bit slower is that it is processing a heck of a lot more pixels especially if you're shooting RAW.

Based on your stated requirements, the D300s would certainly be good choice and a camera to be considered-especially if the price is right.

I also have to point out that I'm stingy too. I believe in buying used and letting someone take the depreciation hit. But, I bought a new D7000 because I couldn't find a satisfactory deal on a used or refurbed body.
Zig

Last edited by zig-123; Jan 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 4:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_spock View Post
Since you've already have Nikon lens, I think the choice is clearer.
Not really, if the lenses are not that good, it is not a big issue to switch. You can ebay or trade in lenses for a lower price at some shops.

Each camera has advantages that the other does not. If you are a heavy action guy, the longer burst rate and the slightly faster AF gives the canon an edge.

If you need low noise and excellent flash, the nikon has the edge.

HD canon.

Lenses both company have excellent lenses for their product. High end nikkor or canon L are very comparable in performance.