Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 12, 2012, 5:44 AM   #1

Default superzoom camera with largest sensor..

Hi there. I'm looking for a superzoom camera with largest sensor available today. Please can someone advise?
drsaurabhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:45 AM   #2

A larger sensor and greater "super-zoom"range don't go together if the weight,zooming and AF speed and the DOF, faster lens aperture and portabilty etc are all to be had in just one camera.
You may have to dig deep into the heaps of some of the older superzoom spec.sheets to find one.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:25 AM   #3

If money's no object and you can wait a little- Fuji's XS-1 is due out anytime soon....
equipped with it's 2/3 sensor- it should lead the way in the image quality stakes....
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fu...-preview-18036
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:39 PM   #4

Default Thanks guys

I understand. is there any 4/3" sensor in superzoom? if not.. then i am thinking of gettin samsung nx10 which is a mirrorless camera but i want a higher zoom lens for that. any further suggestions?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:46 PM   #5

G'day drs

Simon has given best info so far
If you want a 4/3 sensor, your best solution is the 10x zoom from Panny
So a G2/G3 with 14-140 seems your best bet till something else arrives

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:03 PM   #6

good advice.
romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:51 PM   #7

Default how does pana g2/3 comapre with samsung nx10?

which one's better and why? thanks. or should i consider sony nex series.

Last edited by drsaurabhg; Jan 12, 2012 at 2:57 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:28 PM   #8

The Samsung NX10 is a nice little camera- though it's lenses are slightly larger than the G2/G3 equivalents(this may or may not be an issue..?)- and the G2/3 has the rather useful(in my opinion) tilt/swivel LCD. I suspect the Panasonic may have more accessories/lenses available- though I'm not certain on this...
The Sony NEX series are very capable performers- though I personally couldn't live without a viewfinder- be it LCD or otherwise...

http://snapsort.com/compare/Panasoni...s-Samsung_NX10

Another comparison-
http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2010/07...-lens-compacts

Last edited by SIMON40; Jan 12, 2012 at 6:33 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:54 AM   #9

Default thanks guys...

Now I have another dilemma... if I go for mirrorless camera... like nx10 .. would it not be better to go for a basic Dslr instead as I'm not worried about size and I'm not going to get high zoom in both anyway. I have seen some good canons in my price range on canons eBay refurbished outlet. What are advantages of evils against dslr except smaller size?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:41 PM   #10

G'day drs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsaurabhg View Post
.... would it not be better to go for a basic Dslr instead as I'm not worried about size and I'm not going to get high zoom in both anyway.... What are advantages of evils against dslr except smaller size?
Now you're getting into other areas that's going to become "involved & maybe, contentious"

At its most basic it's a bit like asking "what's the difference between a vehicle running petrol vs diesel fuel" ... each does the same basic job, but with quite different parameters to make it happen, and with some differences in the end-result

As I see it, nearly all the dSLR companies have been around for 'yonks' and their line-up of cameras, lenses & accessories is extensive. 3rd party lens makers abound and their offerings are extensive too

Mirrorless with Electronic Viewfinders are "the new kid on the block"
The [early model] cameras are being made by the 'new starters' &/or the 'lesser-known' camera companies .... the sort of companies who always push the boundaries and have a history of introducing 'little things' long before the traditional companies put the same feature into their products [happens in every industry, not just the camera industry]

I firmly believe that the traditional SLR mirror-box will disappear within a decade. I have said elsewhere that "just as film was taken over by the digital world, so will the SLR mirror mechanism be taken over by the electronic display". I'll take bets on it if you like to put some money down...

Everything in this world of ours is [supposedly] becoming miniaturised via the world of electronics, but dSLR bodies are growing bigger & bigger and heavier & heavier > and I cannot understand why. Take your latest dSLR camera to a camera museum and look & feel an SLR from the 1960s, or the polycarbonate bodies of the 1980s ... they are smaller and lighter than today's dSLR cameras

So I find the mirrorless cameras to be a return to the cameras I grew up with - a smaller body, nice weight to carry around, lenses not too big & heavy etc etc

To place a dSLR [Canon/Nikon/Pentax etc] camera such as the FZ100 with its [35mm film equivalent] 24mm to 600mm lens alongside a dSLR with its bevy of lenses making up the same 24mm to 600mm is a gob-smacking visual experience for many people. We as serious photographers know about sensor differences and what goes with those differences, but mr/mrs average either does not know nor care ... they want a 'good' camera and 'convenience' > so the superzoom cameras sell like hot cakes and generally produce excellent results for those users

What comes now is back to you > what do you want and where do you want to go photographically??

Hope this long post helps some way !!
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote