Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:57 PM   #1

Default Digital compact low light... Samsung SX100???

I am looking for a compact digital camera good in low light and fast. I heard the Samsung SX100 was a good one. I take a lot of indoor and do not want to use a flash. Any experience with this one? Thanks
tedstrutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:10 AM   #2

Default I made a mistake...

now I feel like an idiot... the model is actually... the Samsung NX200 20mp
Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:31 AM   #3

I've no doubt that the Samsung NX200 is a fine camera- much like most mirrorless system cameras now offered- though,be aware- it's the lens you attach to it which will make it(or any other)a good performer in low light. They do offer a 16mm f/2.4 lens- but of course,this is a fixed focal length lens- and has it's limitations. They also offer a 85mm f/1.4 lens for the NX200- super fast- but again with the usual restrictions.
Maybe consider Samsung's EX1 compact camera(TL500 depending on where you live).
With it's fast 24-72mm f1.8-2.4 image stabilised lens- it might have the low light capability you seek.
No- it won't have the high iso capabilities of larger sensor cameras,but that fast lens should alleviate the need for high iso settings..
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:38 AM   #4

Thank you for your reply, Simon. I'm pretty much a novice about cameras, just like to take pics of everything. Write a blog. In looking into the NX200, it looks like it may be more camera than I need. Thank you for the info on the lenses. I'll look into the Ex1. I am not set on Samsung and don't mind spending money. I have a lumix now, and it takes great pics, but not in low light.

Hey, I've been to Bangor... My ex-wife was very proud of her Welsh heritage, and we took a 2 week driving trip through Wales in the early 80's when there was a yearlong castle celebration. I think we saw every single one! Even the piles of rocks. Alas, she has all the photos.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:22 PM   #5

Other lower light/fast lens compacts to consider would be the Panasonic LX5,the Olympus XZ-1 and Canons S100.
Bangor's changed a bit since the 80's.... and I'm not sure if it's for the better..!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote