Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2012, 7:29 AM   #1

Default Downgrading from SLR, going to Bridge

Yes, that really does say "downgrading from SLR".

I currently have a D200 and my only lens is a Tamron 17-50 2.8. I don't really do as much photography as I used to and I don't have the funds to purchase additional glass. If I get a bridge, it will be paid for from the sale of the D200 and Tamron.

I do have a P & S (Panasonic TZ5) and I plan on keeping that just for the portability factor and the fact that it doesn't look like a pro camera. People react so much differently when you point a SLR at them!

I have owned at one time a FujiFilm S100FS and I really liked that camera. Here are some concert photos I took using the S100FS:

LINK

The cameras I am considering (in no particular order):

FujiFilm X-S1
FujiFilm HS30EXR

Canon SX40HS

Panasonic FZ150

Nikon P500

I am attracted to the FujiFilm cameras but I do not want to rule out other cameras.

I like the FujiFilm because they're "SLR" like. I really like the focal length and manual focus ring on the lens.

I like the fact that the Fuji has filter threads.

I would like something that will have a good zoom, P, A, S, M shooting modes, the ability to bracket (yes, as in HDR), good in low light, night shooting, RAW.

If I narrowed my decision down to between the X-S1 and the HS30EXR, is the X-S1 worth paying $300 more?

I just read about that "orbs" thing. Is it fixable through firmware? What causes the orbs to appear?

I haven't really been researching cameras and I know there's been a lot of advances in technology. The D200 is about 6 years old. So, I want something more current.

As I said, I am open to all of those listed above. Which one do you think would make me happiest?

Thank you,
Neal
Photog4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:20 AM   #2

Looking at what you've said here- budget is not a limiting factor- which is a good starting point..!
On results alone- from what I've seen,the SX40HS takes some beating- though this is run seriously close by Panasonics FZ-150. They're also the best I've seen for indoor work- such as the concert pics you took with your S100fs(great camera- I had one too..!).
In terms of outright specs,functionality,build quality- and certainly speed- both frames per second and more importantly focus speed- the FZ-150 is the daddy- especially if you shoot video- with a variety of shooting manipulation and the ability to add a microphone.
In terms of handling- of course,you can't beat a manual zoom- instant/accurate framing with no power draining zoom motors...and no interference of Audio on video clips.
In terms of price- the Nikon P500 is being offered at some serious knockdown prices- almost half as much as the other cameras mentioned- though perhaps there's a reason for this...?
The Panasonic,of course,doesn't have a manual zoom- though the side zoom lever on the lens barrel does enable you to keep your finger on the shutter- which does compensate somewhat.
The need for RAW puts the SX40hs at the back of the classroom- as it doesn't have it!!

I owned the S100fs you yourself owned- and I also owned the HS10- and what put me off another Fuji was simply down to poor/slow autofocus speed- it simply wasn't good enough for candid/sports or anything moving a great deal. I'm also led to believe that this wasn't addressed in the HS20.
If the HS30 and the XS-1 has improved(greatly) in this area,then I'd give them some serious consideration- though I wish the HS30(like the Canon and the Panasonic) would have reduced the megapixel count a bit- 16mp can only be a hindrance in terms of processing speed/noise control etc...
I guess well have to wait and see what the tests of these two show us...

The speed of the FZ-150 would always put it(at present) top of the pile for me- and as an overall package it's hard to beat- with very good IQ,as good as any IQ in lower light,RAW capture,Great video capture- with lots of room for manipulation,good build quality,good handling etc.... the only thing missing is the manual zoom- but I can forgive that.

All in all though- only YOU can decide which would make you happiest....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Looking at what you've said here- budget is not a limiting factor- which is a good starting point..!
Well, my "budget" would come from selling my equipment in order to come up with the $$$. So, if I save $$$ on the purchase, then I'll have some extra $$$ to maybe purchase PS upgrade

Quote:
On results alone- from what I've seen,the SX40HS takes some beating- though this is run seriously close by Panasonics FZ-150. They're also the best I've seen for indoor work- such as the concert pics you took with your S100fs(great camera- I had one too..!).

.....snip......

The need for RAW puts the SX40hs at the back of the classroom- as it doesn't have it!!
Bummer! No RAW?!

Quote:
All in all though- only YOU can decide which would make you happiest....
Very true, but some help and advice is appreciated.

I like Panasonic. I had a FZ1 and I now have a TZ5. I guess I'll have to try the FZ150 in person.

If the Canon had RAW I would probably end up going with that one.

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts.

-Neal
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:01 PM   #4

Simon:

Do you own the SX40HS?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:10 PM   #5

Yes I do,Neal. Any questions - ask away...
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:49 PM   #6

I saw some of your photos posted elsewhere in the forum.

Aside from my mentioning that I would like a camera that does RAW. If you were buying a camera and you had your choice of the FZ150 or the SX40HS, which would you buy and why?

Does the SX40HS have filter threads?

What about processing images in LR or PS?

The main reason I'm looking for a camera that shoots RAW would be the control I would have over the image when editing.

Thank you
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:28 PM   #7

Does the SX40HS / FZ150 bracket?

How easy is it to adjust shutter speed/aperture when in Manual?

Is there a meter?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:42 PM   #8

I have to confess- the simple reason I purchased the SX40HS over the Panasonic FZ-150 was simply because I managed to squeeze a cracking deal out of the retailer at the time- and knowing I wasn't compromising on image quality helped the decision- and the AF speed is pretty decent.
However if the FZ-150 was available at the same price at the time- then I'd have gone for that- no question.
As a photographic tool- the two feel quite different.
The SX40 seems to have been designed around getting decent results with the minimum of fuss- I think this is apparent in its appearance also- it looks like it's been designed in a wind tunnel- almost fashion conscious! The FZ-150 however,makes no apology for looking like a DSLR- with very similar styling and layout- and as good a finish! It certainly seems designed with the more advanced user in mind- and the specs sheet definitely back that perception up.
Full HD video- with an autofocus motor that actually keeps up whilst zooming(unlike most cameras),Articulated 3" lcd,12fps burst speed- and perhaps more impressively,5.5 fps WITH autofocus..!!! Raw capture as already mentioned,stereo mic socket,3D still mode- and an awful lot more...!
Having said all that- the SX40 is still pretty well specified- and most users won't find anything missing. The i-Contrast mode works a treat- enhancing dynamic range via on board processing in one shot(not the usual 3 now on most HDR equipped cameras). There is also a "Handheld nightscene" mode,which rattles off a number of frames very quickly- and combines them for a low noise image- despite using high iso's(and quite effective it is),then there's the "low light" mode which is a one frame/high iso/3mp image- not quite as effective. Again,you have the articulated screen(though smaller at 2.7"),Full HD video(though I use mine in standard VGA- which I find more than adequate).
Then,of course is the Canon's whopping 24-840mm zoom range- and a very good image stabiliser to go with it.
So- not quite as "high tech" as the Panny- but the Canon still performs well,despite coming second best in the speed stakes.
With regards using the Canon- it's a doddle in Manual mode- simply press the exposure comp button to select aperture or shutter speed and just rotate the dial..!
There is also a simple exposure meter- kind of a sliding scale with a central point for correct exposure.
To use filters on the SX40 you have to purchase an adapter which fits onto the lens barrel- I think for 63mm filters. However- I believe the one off the older SX20 fits also- which uses a much more standard 58mm.
With regards editing,I use Photoshop CS- and always have. I cannot comment on any other as I've never used them. One good "free for download" Raw editor is "Raw Therapee"- I've used a variety of RAW formats on this- all with decent results.

Have I missed anything... lol..

Oh yes- it supports bracketing also...

Here's a VERY comprehensive review of the FZ-150- with lots of video's noise tests,pics to download etc...
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...50/index.shtml

Last edited by SIMON40; Jan 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:37 PM   #9

Simon:

Thank you again

Well, it looks like I've narrowed it down to the FZ150.

However, I keep coming back to the Fuji. I guess I'll have to wait until the HS30EXR comes out and then go to a local shop (40 minutes away from me) and play around with both cameras before making a decision.

If I sold some of my equipment and then got either the FZ150 or the HS30, then I may have some $$$ left over to buy some accessories (such as an off camera flash).

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my posts.

-Neal
Old Jan 14, 2012, 7:35 PM   #10

i've never had the best experiences with fuji's - they have great features, but their photos never seem to stand up to panny and canon. btw, i got an fz150 for christmas, and it's very nice to play with - i love the zoom, and the pic quality is better than i had hoped.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote