Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 14, 2012, 2:25 PM   #1

Default Large Zoom P & S

Hi I'm looking at getting a new P&S with a large zoom, manual control settings and HD movies. With a price of about 200. The most promising that i have seen is the Panasonic TZ18. I have currently got a Olympus 1030sw with has served me well but I am looking for more zoom, control and quality. I have discounted bridges and DSLR to both size and cost. May look to purchase a DSLR in the future.
wardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2012, 3:08 PM   #2

The TZ18 is a fine little camera(as is the TZ20)- though maybe consider the Samsung WB750 also....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 4:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
The TZ18 is a fine little camera(as is the TZ20)- though maybe consider the Samsung WB750 also....
I looked at the TZ20 and it seems that for the extra cost there is little benefit as the touch screen and GPS reduces the battery life and tbh these are features I could live without. The only things that seem to justify the extra cost is the composite pic night mode and full HD as opposed to 720p in the TZ18.

Also the Samsung looks good although the extra cost would keep the TZ18 as my favourite.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 6:01 PM   #4

Indeed- given the TZ18's current prices- you can't go wrong.
And I'd agree- I personally would have no use for the GPS- and I certainly wouldn't use the touch screen...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 4:30 AM   #5

One final thing what memory card would you recommend. I remember reading something about this memory card.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 4:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardy View Post
One final thing what memory card would you recommend. I remember reading something about this memory card.
Sandisk would be my top choice, though I've had good experiences with Panasonic and Kingston as well. Many people recommend Transcend cards but every Transcend card I ever purchased failed to perform at its rated speeds.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 5:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Sandisk would be my top choice, though I've had good experiences with Panasonic and Kingston as well. Many people recommend Transcend cards but every Transcend card I ever purchased failed to perform at its rated speeds.
which class of card would you recomend as a min for this camera eg hd video recording
Old Jan 17, 2012, 5:15 AM   #8

this Sandisk looks good for both price and money
Old Jan 17, 2012, 4:37 PM   #9

Quote:
which class of card would you recomend as a min for this camera eg hd video recording
Generally a Class 4 is fast enough, but I always recommend Class 6 since the price difference is negligible and it never hurts to have a slightly faster card.

Quote:
this Sandisk looks good for both price and money
Yeah, looks good.