Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:02 PM   #1

Default Which one of these 3 is the better camera?

...considering that I'm looking for an all-purpose compact cam, and I value low light quality, battery life and the ability to take good pictures even if just left in auto?

Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS
Canon Poweshot SX230 HS
Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS

Here's the comparison:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...=canon_sx230hs
IvyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2012, 4:00 PM   #2

depends on your needs, and i'm already familiar with all three cameras.

i bought my husband an sd4000 for christmas to supplement his DSLR's because for him, having both manual controls and a wider aperture are a priority. this camera definitely delivers the most in low light than the other two - he took a very close macro in very low light and it looked surprisingly good. in fact, had it a longer zoom, i'd have gotten one for myself.

that being said, for me the sx230 (well, actually the sx220 as i don't care about GPS) would be the best. i prefer manual controls and more zoom, so although this would be my carry everywhere camera, and size matters, i'm actually getting the 220 or 230 rather than the 300 because the 300 has no manual controls - no PASM. would i prefer the 230/220 had a wider aperture (lower f/ number)? yes, but there's no camera i've found that has everything i want, and for a carrying camera, this one comes the closest, and does better in lower light than our old A620 due to new technologies. also even though i have small hands, i found the 300 maybe too small to use easily.

for those who don't want to shoot manual - who might even feel it's confusing - or those who feel a camera just can't be too small, the 300 would be their best choice of these three.

Last edited by pcake; Jan 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:24 PM   #3

With what you're looking for- I'd suggest the SD4000IS- with its faster f/2 lens at wide angle,potentially yielding better low light shots- not to mention aperture and shutter priority modes.
pcake's assessment of the 3 camera's is just about right...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:04 AM   #4

@pcacke: I was actually looking at the sx220 myself as I don't need the GPS function either. However, since low-light performance is key, I think I will go with the SD4000.

Thank you both for your explanations!
IvyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 4:07 PM   #5

you're very welcome. hope you enjoy it

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyNut View Post
@pcacke: I was actually looking at the sx220 myself as I don't need the GPS function either. However, since low-light performance is key, I think I will go with the SD4000.

Thank you both for your explanations!
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote