Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:03 AM   #1

Default upgrading from Canon G11, suggestions?

hey guys.

I studied photography, and used to do a fair amount of wildlife photography back a few years ago with a Canon 20D and an assortment of L lenses and accessories.

since then life has happened, and I had to get rid of my dSLR stuff. so I searched for the best I could get sub-dSLR and ended up with a Canon G11. it has served me well, but at this point the video capabilities (can we really call it that?) have outlived the camera.

so, what would you recommend for someone who enjoys the pros of a Canon G11 coming from the dSLR world, and now wants an upgrade?

it seems to me from my extensive reviewing that the Canon G12 isn't much of an upgrade, having the same size CCD sensor and all.

The Canon SX40 seems like a great contender with the HD video and CMOS sensor, as well as the long range zoom (I used to love it back with my dSLR, but have learned to live without it...but can get back into loving it quickly). My only concern is the size. I haven't seen it in person yet, but reviews make it out to be much bigger than the G11.

I no longer take photos professionally but I am the designated photographer at all events, parties, birthdays, get togethers, bar nights, etc. I also like to record videos of (usually dark) Rock Band parties...and the G11 is not cutting it, to say the least.

I like the small form factor of the G11 but picked it over the (even) smaller P&S cameras because I prefer a bigger sensor and stronger build quality over pocketability.

what do you suggest given the above? I hope i've been thorough enough!

thanks.

EDIT: I know I haven't posted here in several years, but the board says last visit was in 1970? haha time travel? I wasn't born till '87 :-p

Last edited by Max_Pain; Jan 23, 2012 at 8:11 AM.
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:45 AM   #2

Maybe this is the next "upgrade"...
http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/new...announced.html
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:46 AM   #3

i wouldn't consider the sx40 an upgrade exactly, as it actually has a smaller sensor than the g11, although it is packed with features including that long lens and lots of video options. it is significantly bigger than the g11 but much lighter than a dslr. i got the panasonic fz150 instead of the sx40 because the fz150 shoots raw and has manual settings for the videos, and you don't have to do a workaround to shoot a long exposure.

if a larger sensor is an important factor, you might want to try a micro 4/3 camera - panasonic makes a small one, the GF3 (i have the older GF1, and it's pretty nice) and sony has an apsc line of small removable lens cameras, the NEX line, although i didn't care for it myself. or wait for the new canon G1X - not enough zoom for my taste, but an actual apsc sensor. you might also want to look into the olympus PENs, which are micro 4/3 or samsung's NX cameras, although i found the samsung lens choices weren't exciting.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:50 AM   #4

I have a Canon G 12...along with my Pentax DSLR's. BTW, my Pentax K-5 is a fabulous camera...but I think you want smaller...although the K-5 body is very small (and rugged) for a DSLR.

I have thought about the new Canon GX 1...bigger sensor than the G 11....but no interchangeable lens capability, also it looks like the neat external ISO wheel is not there, as it was on the G 11/12.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:35 AM   #5

I noticed the SX40 had a smaller sensor, but it's CMOS vs. the G11's CCD...I thought that would make it worthwhile?

I'll look into the G1-X.

in terms of the micro 4/3s cameras...does the Nikon 1 or whatever it's called fall in that category? I saw a white one with a 10-30mm and a 30mm to 110mm lenses that caught my eye aesthetically (and my wife's) but don't know if that's more gimmick than anything else.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:47 PM   #6

the nikon has the smallest sensor of the interchangeable lens cameras. it's still bigger than the standard digicam sensor.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:57 PM   #7

well I looked into it and it is pretty, but for the price of the camera plus the 30-110 I could get a rebel kit and get much better quality...but too big.

so i'm back to figuring out where to go.

the G1X looks great, but has a few downsides 1) not out until late february? 2) only 4X zoom, and the a price tag of 700 pounds (i'm in US...so what, $900-1000? more?)

someone mentioned the SX40 isn't an upgrade because it has a smaller sensor, yet it's CMOS vs. CCD and 2-3 years newer than the G11, and does have 35x zoom and HD video...but honestly I don't like the form factor.

I will continue researching, see what else is out there. I prefer to stick to Canon...though I did love my FZ20 back in the day...so i'll look up what Panasonic is offering nowadays in their Lumix line.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:37 AM   #8

I read your post and i think of my journey through the years I had SLR's then went away and then thought theses pics are just not cutting it or it could have been better so ended up getting better prosumer cameras, until 18 moths ago. Went back and got a 500d/t2i. I think of all the shots I have missed. Still have to go back and take them again is the bright side, so i get to re visit places.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:48 AM   #9

For what it's worth,I own the SX40HS and am very happy with it- Yes,it doesn't have DSLR image quality- but it is pretty good- probably the best IQ in the current "bridge" line up- and I think a match for the current G series in this regard.
It's pretty light,not too big- and certainly versatile.
The slightly better spec Panny FZ-150 might be worth looking into also- with better feel/build quality,RAW shooting,lightning fast focus/burst modes,class leading video capability(and the option to add mic's) and a larger LCD....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:44 AM   #10

thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

after much research and cnosideration of what I actually use the camera for nowadays, I ended up ordering the Canon SX40HS. that was on Friday, pick it up today from the store :-D

the other contender that I was interested on the Panasonic FZ150. I had the original FZ20, and loved it. only problem was none of my local stores had it in stock so I could test it...and I'm also trying to rebuild my credit, so I bought the camera from my local HHGregg (cheaper than BH Photo by the way) on credit to pay it back within a couple of months.

QUESTION: from my reading online, I can put a hood OR a filter. would you recommend the hood, or a UV filter for the camera?