Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:11 PM   #1

Default Brand new or tried and true...

I am going on vacation in April and looking for a super zoom digital pocket camera.

I had it narrowed it down to the Sony Cybershot DSC-HX9V 16.2MP with 16x Zoom. The Sony site has this back in stock aprox. 2/20/2012 so I would have the camera in time for the trip. Then I saw the new Fujifilm cameras that are coming out in March and got a bit excited. Now I am torn.

The other camera is the brand new Fujifilm 77OEXR. This camera is going to be released in March so I should have this in time as well. This camera will have a 20x Zoom, with a 16mp exr cmos II 1/2 sensor. I like this camera a lot! Both cameras have the GPS functionality which I like.

I am not a professional camera person by all means. I want a good compact camera with as much of a zoom as I can get that will take a great picture. There isn't much information out there about the Fujifilm camera so I'd be looking for those of you that are familiar with the quality of that brand name. I know the sony camera comes highly recommended so I know I'd be getting a great camera. Not sure if it's worth buying a brand new, never released camera just to get a bit more zoom but I do like the Fuji!!!!

Thanks
Harlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:13 PM   #2

i've sometimes felt a little disappointed with fuji's jpg's - they were noisier than i prefer, but this new camera might be better than those i've tried. no way to know until it's out.

that being said, it might be a good idea to get a second, really cheap, camera just in case something goes wrong. that way, you'll still have pics of your vacation even if something happens to your main camera.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:26 PM   #3

The Fuji- on paper- looks impressive... though as pcake alludes to,Fuji images can appear more "digital" than others- let's wait for a review..!
The 750EXR has up to 8fps shooting speed at full res',fast autofocus(0.17 sec),25-500mm zoom,full manual/aperture/shutter priority modes- and one thing not lost on me- a reasonable f/5.3 max aperture at full zoom setting- better than many compacts.
The 750 adds GPS and RAW shooting on top...
If you don't need the manual options or RAW shooting,then the Sony would be ideal...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:44 PM   #4

Neither....Panasonic DMC-G3! Love it!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 5:21 AM   #5

I think the Panny TZ's will still take some beating- since they went full manual after the TZ8 they'd be my choice every time....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:38 AM   #6

i love it, too - it's a great camera. but it's not a super zoom and when you add some of the longer lenses to it, both price and weight go up a ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlee View Post
Neither....Panasonic DMC-G3! Love it!
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 6:57 PM   #7

This type of camera is totally different for me but it just felt right! I have a pre-order in for the 20mm 1.7 lens. Of course, who knows when I will get it. The salesman I was working with told me I might not feel like I need a longer lens once I start using the camera. Of course, just in case, any suggestions for a longer lens is much appreciated in case I start having withdrawels from the zoom...