Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:18 PM   #1

Default help needed in deciding my first digicam..

Hi...i am from India...Hello friends,this is my first post here.have heard many good things about this forum.so i hope you peolple help me in deciding my first ever digicam.
I have a budget of 17,000.my requirements are good overall image quality,simple controls,good low-light performance and 1080HD video.I want a compact digicam which i can carry anywhere with me.
After doing some researching online i liked these cameras...Canon PowerShot SX230 HS , Sony Cybershot DSC HX7V , Nikon Coolpix S9100...On a different note i liked the features of Nikon Coolpix AW100...
Please i am hoping for a decider here...need to buy it soon...
P.S. the above-mentioned models are available in my country.
drsamratroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2012, 1:36 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I doubt you will go wrong with any of those.

I don't own any of them, but I have been out and about with an SX230 owner (my brother) and recently a friend was given the Nikon P9100 for xmas. They are both very nice cameras, and you would likely be happy with either.

I think they are in fact so closely matched that I would choose simply on the basis of liking the look or being able to get a special offer on one.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 4:09 AM   #3

I'd second that- both very good feature packed camera's given their "bijou" proportions.
I'd go with the Canon simply because it has full manual control- in addition to the usual "point and shoot" options- though as you want simplicity,then either would suffice...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 4:47 AM   #4

thanks for the advice...what do you have to say for the sony model and the nikon aw100...
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:02 AM   #5

condensed info that may help - based on use in stores and reading an insane number of reviews:

i just got the sx230. on the good side, full manual controls, nice zoom you can use while shooting video, a nice size, good screen, good stabilization. on the down side, ISO takes a little practice to get to easily, lens not all that wide, flash opens whenever turning on the camera (not a big deal).

i haven't been a big fan of sony - i find their menus difficult, which won't be an issue for auto shooters. those who love it love this camera love it, but the reviewer at cnet and the user ratings at amazon seem to average it at a 3.5. in its favor, it has a wider lens than the canon and a very nice feature is that you can shoot pics while you shoot video.

the nikon 9100 has a wider lens than the canon, and the significantly longest zoom of the bunch. it has 1080p @ 30 fps, which is very nice if you want to shoot HD movies, and i read that it has good stabilization. the samples i've seen of the 9100's pics seem to have less detail than some competitors including the canon sx230. the nikon has no manual controls, which auto shooters may find simpler, but for me was a deal breaker and is not so good for those who want to be learn to learn more about taking pics. it has no GPS, if that matters to you.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:45 AM   #6

what about the overall image & video quality of AW100...
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:09 PM   #7

f/3.9 is the fastest aperture - not very impressive. it basically means less light can get into the camera. also only 5x zoom. maybe good if you want to take pics in the water, but 5x zoom won't get you close to other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsamratroy View Post
what about the overall image & video quality of AW100...
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:11 AM   #8

my requirements are night-shots,should be compact,good video quality & something which is durable...
Old Jan 29, 2012, 2:06 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Speaking of water, the reason my brother got the Canon was because of the excellent underwater housing.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:18 AM   #10

thanks a lot for all the nice info & advice...after thinking a lot i have narrowed down to Canon SX220 HS (230 cancelled coz i dint need gps which also affected battery) & Nikon Coolpix S9100...plz advice...