Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:44 AM   #11

the gf2 is not that great for indoor action stuff. It is just as bad as the epl-1 in that regard. Even the nex will not be that much better with the larger sensor. And the gf2 does not use the newer sensor, so high iso performance is marginal at best. Not as good as the epl-1. AF speed of the m4/3 cameras are dictated by the lenses. The epl-1 with their msc lenses focus allot faster the the kit lens and the msc lens puts the epl-1 on par with the gf2 in AF. The kit lens is not really good for what you want to shoot with either the gf2 or epl1.

Indoor stuff you will need high iso and a fast lens, with a zoom you will need 2.8 and if you are close enough a fast prime might work. But these lenses are only available for dslr. And while you can mount a sony dslr lens on the nex. The adapter really slows things down. You can mount olympus dslr fast zooms on the pens. But they focus allot slower.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:13 AM   #12

thanks everyone for your responses, you have given me a lot to think about.

KCook - I had the same discussion with my local shutter bug at work yesterday - he also felt I would be better suited spending a little more on an entry level DSLR instead of a m4/3 camera. Although tempted I am still feeling like I want something more portable, it is one of those things - either you don't mind carrying the DSLR bag and kit and you look at the m4/3 (esp the sony) and say it isn't that much smaller - or you look at the DSLR bag and say its too big.

peripatetic - I really want to love the GF2 but I am seeing a big drop in IQ when I compare the images at full crop on dpreview between the olympus, gf2 and the sony. The gf2 is just not as sharp as the other two, even in RAW format. The olympus is on par IQ wise and a little better color wise than the sony even with it's bigger sensor. I want to go with the GF2 but I just can't get past this. I have read posts (I think they were yours) about certain settings to correct color but I still think the image quality is not as good with the panasonic.

shoturtle - thanks for stopping by - I have read a number of your posts and pictures on the e-pl1. Since you own one already let me ask you if you really find the AF to be a problem on the e-pl1 after the firmware update using the kit 14-42mm lens for most shots? If I follow you correctly you are pointing to the kit lens with the e-pl1 as the AF problem, reading the e-pl1 review on dpreview they stated the same thing - that the e-pl1 with the firmware update and a panasonic lens was significantly faster than with the kit lens. You mention the msc lens, I believe the newer e-pm1 kit includes one of these and is now much better at AF then before, this might be a stretch budget wise but would you think that the e-pm1 ($450) would be worth the extra $$ to add the better lens? Could I get the epl1 and add a better lens for the same money?

End of the day i am looking for something to replace a point and shoot - imho there is no reason to get another point and shoot since my smartphone fills in much better as the camera of opportunity, as it is always with me and frankly the resolution of the images is as good if not better than the my current 10MP cannon powershot.

I have considered the superzooms, bridge cameras and even some of the large sensor point and shoots and just don't seem them filling the need for something better.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:58 AM   #13

Quote:
spending a little more on an entry level DSLR instead of a m4/3 camera
As a practical matter, I doubt that is the case. Once you start adding lenses, it's easier to find affordable lenses for a DSLR (or NEX + adapter) than for the M4/3 systems. The extra bulk of the DSLR is undeniable, especially over the latest M4/3 designs like the Panny GF3. So each of us has to weigh bulk vs AF speed and low light image quality. I've got a DSLR now, I'd really like to add a M4/3 sometime in the future. Of course there is no good reason you shouldn't do that in the reverse order.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:25 PM   #14

KCook - thanks for your clarification - I am seeing your point with many of the M4/3 lenses often times costing as much as the M4/3 cameras.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:55 PM   #15
Super Moderator

A DSLR is very mature technology; the only real downside is the size and weight.

Cost is not very much more than the large sensor mirrorless cameras, if even at all. But even so, $400 is pretty tight.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
peripatetic - is there a camera that I should be looking at for the indoors cheer leading stills? something around $400 with high IQ?
There is no camera that is going to meet that requirement. It's not realistic. I suggest you buy a camera for your other needs and leave cheer leading out of it.

I honestly couldn't recommend a LENS you could effectively use for cheer leading competition for $400 much less a total solution.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:06 PM   #17

let me elaborate - someone mentioned a 50mm 1.8 type lens. Your requirement is great IQ. The problem with 50mm (or 35mm on m4/3) is you need to be within about 15 feet. That's a rarity for many parents at cheer leading. And if it's on a stage it's even worse because you're shooting up at such a sharp angle when you're within a few feet.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:27 PM   #18

thanks again for the clarifications. To be honest the cheer leading photos are kinda at the bottom of the list of priorities. I won't be able to get too close and won't be able to set up with a dslr on a tripod and a big telephoto lens.

If I get better pictures than I did with my p&s it is a win. I'm more worried about the IQ of the group picture taken after the competition than the action shots.

I really do appreciate all the input though - it is important to me to understand what is and what is not reasonable to expect from my budget.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
I'm more worried about the IQ of the group picture taken after the competition than the action shots.
Group shots indoors are going to require LIGHT. How much light depends on the size of the group. A built-in flash on any camera is just too limiting. Obviously you're not going to be setting up strobes/softboxes for these shots and even using multiple flashes probably isn't a workable solution either. So, assuming a small group your best option is an external flash bounced or using a wide-angle diffuser. Built-ins are OK for 2 people but when you start to get into groups of 6 or more people built-in flashes from all cameras universally stink. So, for these group shots, an external flash is much better than an expensive camera or lens.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:54 PM   #20

Worth adding that a powerful external flash eliminates some M4/3 bodies and all of the NEX bodies except the expensive 7. Of course any DSLR can play the flash game.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote