Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:26 PM   #21

You are correct, the issue is not with the epl1 body but the kit lens. I did the firmware update, and the mated with panny lenses it would AF pretty fast. When I moved to the 14-150 mac lens, it was even faster then the GF1 and GF2. And the new kit lens form the ep3 and epm1 are even faster. If you want a lens that covers allot of good light shooting, I would go with the the 14-150 msc lens. Or just get the body, and get a 14-42 msc lens on ebay for 80 dollars.

The epl1 with the kit after the upgrade is not horrible in the AF speed, it is still faster then allot of pns. If you are a dslr shooter, it is a bit slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
thanks everyone for your responses, you have given me a lot to think about.

KCook - I had the same discussion with my local shutter bug at work yesterday - he also felt I would be better suited spending a little more on an entry level DSLR instead of a m4/3 camera. Although tempted I am still feeling like I want something more portable, it is one of those things - either you don't mind carrying the DSLR bag and kit and you look at the m4/3 (esp the sony) and say it isn't that much smaller - or you look at the DSLR bag and say its too big.

peripatetic - I really want to love the GF2 but I am seeing a big drop in IQ when I compare the images at full crop on dpreview between the olympus, gf2 and the sony. The gf2 is just not as sharp as the other two, even in RAW format. The olympus is on par IQ wise and a little better color wise than the sony even with it's bigger sensor. I want to go with the GF2 but I just can't get past this. I have read posts (I think they were yours) about certain settings to correct color but I still think the image quality is not as good with the panasonic.

shoturtle - thanks for stopping by - I have read a number of your posts and pictures on the e-pl1. Since you own one already let me ask you if you really find the AF to be a problem on the e-pl1 after the firmware update using the kit 14-42mm lens for most shots? If I follow you correctly you are pointing to the kit lens with the e-pl1 as the AF problem, reading the e-pl1 review on dpreview they stated the same thing - that the e-pl1 with the firmware update and a panasonic lens was significantly faster than with the kit lens. You mention the msc lens, I believe the newer e-pm1 kit includes one of these and is now much better at AF then before, this might be a stretch budget wise but would you think that the e-pm1 ($450) would be worth the extra $$ to add the better lens? Could I get the epl1 and add a better lens for the same money?

End of the day i am looking for something to replace a point and shoot - imho there is no reason to get another point and shoot since my smartphone fills in much better as the camera of opportunity, as it is always with me and frankly the resolution of the images is as good if not better than the my current 10MP cannon powershot.

I have considered the superzooms, bridge cameras and even some of the large sensor point and shoots and just don't seem them filling the need for something better.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:33 PM   #22

If you are planning to add a external flash for a mirrorless, you get a much better flash system with olympus then with panny. Panny flash system is still an infant compare to all the other brands. The epl-1 gives you the ability to go with wireless TTL. And you can bring the flash onboard as well with the hotshot. And you get some decent flash options. Metz, olympus and nissin flashes all work well.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 5:51 PM   #23

what about this one for the nex?

http://www.amuras.com/ssproduct.asp?pf_id=1020255048

also seems there are ways to trigger an external off the included flash if need be.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:16 PM   #24

well I found this today

http://dabrasales.com/products.php?p...oting%2C-Black

and couldn't pass up the deal. Honestly I am a little concerned about the legitness of the site but payment was through google checkout which made me feel better and of course I used a cc so I can always fight there if needed. Neways I got some time and if this purchase works out I can afford a few add-ons.

If this purchase doesn't work out I think I am going to go with an olympus - prbly the e-pl1 body and a newer lens but I might opt for the e-pl2 if I can find it for similar price as that seems to come with the new 14-42mm msc lens
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:19 PM   #25

it will not put as much light as say a metz 44AF1, something most of then nex can not use, and it support wireless TTL as a slave.

That sony flash only has a guide number of 20, and for that price you can get a much better and power flash. like the metz 36 AF5.
The sony only has a guild number of 20, so the flash will not be able to bounce well, and expect for front shots. it is not much better the the built in flash of the epl1 or the gf1.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:44 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
well I found this today

http://dabrasales.com/products.php?p...oting%2C-Black

and couldn't pass up the deal. Honestly I am a little concerned about the legitness of the site...
No kidding.

It looks like that domain name was just registered last month using a Private Registration, and a traceroute of the IP address hosting the server (66.30.29.244) shows it to be comcast ISP address in Maine. When I look at the address on their contact page, it shows a small shopping strip in Florida here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...ed=0CB4Q8gEwAA

That sure wouldn't be a choice of vendors I'd be comfortable with.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:58 PM   #27

JimC - I hear ya I hear ya... gonna give it a few days and if I don't have something confirmed as shipped I am gonna cancel payment...
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:06 PM   #28

ah I think it's okay though, it's just a guy selling cameras and ribs?

http://www.superpages.com/bp/Pembrok...0096302157.htm
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:24 PM   #29

okay so canceling that order and now looking at my options on the olympus pen versions

wondering which would be better, the e-pl2 with the newer lens;

http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-PEN-E-...Demo-59722.cfm

or the e-pl1

http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-PEN-E-...Demo-52477.cfm

and the II lens

http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-M-Zuik...Demo-61084.cfm

and try to sell the ED lens - maybe cameta will give me credit towards the swap? they're selling the refurb ED lenses for $109

I've read the reviews and other than the lens it doesn't seem like the e-pl2 got much on the e-pl1
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:27 PM   #30

The lens is only worth 50 dollar at best. Looke on eBay, you might find the msc lens for 70 dollars