Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:49 PM   #31

the only ones I see on ebay are in the $100 range.. saw the ED lens on there for 9.99.. lol

neways closer inspection of the specs shows me I get twice the pixels on the 3" screen vs. 2.7" screen, I get 1/4000 for max shutter vs. 1/2000, and ISO up to 6400 vs. 3200 with the epl2 vs. epl1.

Not sure how much to make of the shutter and ISO increases but I know I will benefit from a better screen... thoughts on the other specs?
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:26 PM   #32

do not shoot pass 2000iso, while they put 6400iso. it is not really usable. Shutter speed is nice add, especially if you are using a fast prime like the 20mm 1.7, it will help allot on sunny days if you want to shoot at 2.8 or better.

The LCD is nicer on the epl2
Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:50 AM   #33

well i was busy hemmin an hawin someone bought the refurbished epl2 ... darn
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:19 AM   #34
Banned

i need a new camera too. i had this Olympus camera like 6 years (zoom 40, 4 megapixels) then i bought cannon camera which broke in 2 days!
i need advice.
what camera should i buy? (zoom is important)

Last edited by Wood85; Feb 2, 2012 at 8:21 AM.
Wood85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:33 AM   #35
Administrator

Warning to Members:

The signature for Wood85 (now banned) contained a link titled "how to edit a picture". If you clicked on it, it took you to a site promoting a free image editor called "Picture Editor"

When checking the .exe for the download for "Picture Editor" (ScreenRecorder_setup.exe) via http://www.virustotal.com, 4 different antivirus products flagged it as containing an adware downloader, including Comodo, Dr.Web, Emisoft and Eset NOD32.

So, if anyone clicked on that link and installed this "free" Picture Editor, you may have a problem with Adware. Not all AV products are going to detect it yet, as only 4 out of 42 Antivirus products that scanned it found the problem (as is typical with newer malware, as the products may not know what to look for yet when newer malware is first introduced).

I've now setup filters in our forums software to filter that site (so that nobody else can post links to it here, as that helps to prevent anyone from joining under a new member name and promoting the same site).

Some advise to members:

Never install software from sources that you're not familiar with, as I've seen a lot of photography related apps that contained malware (image viewers and editors, EXIF viewers, etc.), and often, the site and products being promoted appear to be very legit, with nice, professional looking web sites. Sometimes you see products that you are familiar with that have malware tacked on to them, too (that's becoming a more common technique for spreading it).

So, stick to getting your software from sources beyond approach, and I'd also suggest scanning any product you plan on installing using http://www.virustotal.com and/or http://virusscan.jotti.org/en (so that it's checked by a larger number of antivirus scanners so that it's more likely you will find any embedded "nasties").
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 3:43 PM   #36

Thanks for the headsup Jim. In fact my Avira AV did popup a warning immediately.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:27 PM   #37

well I bit the bullet and grabbed the e-pl2

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=OMEPL2KRB

with coupon code MakeBuydigYours10 taking $10 off.

now just need to find a prime
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:48 PM   #38

looking to save money on the prime any suggestions on ideal lens to use with an adapter?

would something like this work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikkor...#ht_500wt_1156

what adapter do I want?

thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:20 PM   #39

You want a nikon AF adapter for that lens, but you will have to manual focus and manually set the aperture. Which this lens lets you.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:23 AM   #40

shoturtle - thanks for the input. Is there a brand of lenses you recommend? I'd like to buy one adapter instead of several.

I am really happy I chose the olympus.... the sony nex-3 was really calling me but the lack of support for accessories and also the relatively high price just killed it... the olympus on the other hand supports regular flashes and with the accessory port things like wired or wireless shutter triggers.