Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:18 PM   #1

Default need help choosing EVIL camera

So I know this is like asking people what is the better ice cream, vanilla or chocolate? or what is the best wine? clearly there are different answers for different people.

I am stepping up from point and shoots although I have owned a cannon film SLR in the past.

I primarily want to step up because I am going to the grand canyon and Sedona in April. I shoot wildlife (with a camera not a gun .. lol ), sunsets and landscapes as well as people on occasion. I also have a 14 year old daughter who does cheer leading and would like to be able to capture good action shots when there is a competition. Video is less of a concern, although nice to have I also have a smartphone capable of 1080p video.

So from a use-ability standpoint I am stuck on the NEX-3 because I think I will really like having the tilt screen to compose shots that would not be taken at eye level.

From a value (I am Scottish) standpoint I am really stuck on the e-pl1 .... for the $400 minimum I would spend on the NEX-3 I can get the e-pl1 with a 40-150mm lens as well as the standard 14-42mm.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Interc...7953819&sr=8-3

But then I look at the AF issues noted on the e-pl1 and get worried about shooting my daughter at cheer leading. Which brings me to the Panasonic dmc-gf2 which is also a bargain now at $325-$350 if you shop around.

So that is where I am stuck... and I am wondering the following;

1. Will I need a pancake lens for landscapes or am I go to go with the 14-42mm lenses of the pannasonic or olympus or the 18-55 of the sony?

1.a. If yes which camera will be cheapest to add the lens? I am guessing the olympus since the IS is in the body and not the lens, second the pannasonic and lastly the sony. What should I plan on spending for this?

2. Do I need the telephoto lens? and if so should I get the Olympus deal or would I be better off buying a lens latter?

3. Thoughts on the tilt-able LCD? I imagine I would like it but some times I get caught up in wanting things that I find aren't that useful after all is said and done.

thanks!
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:58 PM   #2

1. Pancake lenses are usually not WA enough for landscapes.

1a. In theory the NEX. As adapters allow you to fit old SLR lenses (including non-Sony) to NEX. Dunno about new lenses. Though the ability to fairly easily mix Micro4/3 bodies and lenses from both Oly and Panny is very tempting.

2. Up to you.

3. Neat feature, especially for closeup work. I've had cameras in the past with this. My current Canon EOS 50D lacks it. I can still get by at high slant angles, just have to squint more.

Sony NEX is cool if: 1- you can swing the 5N: 2- you won't be using an advanced flash unit. As I already have a DSLR to cover the APS-C format base, I'd be more tempted by a svelte Micro4/3 for travel.

Just one best wine view,
Kelly Cook
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:00 PM   #3
Super Moderator

1. No not really. Both of the standard zooms are pretty wide, and with digital you can stich or shoot panoramas if you need to go even wider. This is the least of your worries.

2. For video and AF the GF2 is probably the best of your 3 options, and yes you will need a telephoto.

3. Some people love em, some aren't bothered.

For cheerleading, if indoors, these are not great still cameras. They are not good enough at very high ISO, the AF systems will struggle a bit, and the lenses are slow. I would expect the GF2 to give you quite decent video results however, and that would be my choice on your budget.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
1. Pancake lenses are usually not WA enough for landscapes.
what should I be considering for landscapes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
1a. In theory the NEX. As adapters allow you to fit old SLR lenses (including non-Sony) to NEX. Dunno about new lenses. Though the ability to fairly easily mix Micro4/3 bodies and lenses from both Oly and Panny is very tempting.

2. Up to you.

3. Neat feature, especially for closeup work. I've had cameras in the past with this. My current Canon EOS 50D lacks it. I can still get by at high slant angles, just have to squint more.

Sony NEX is cool if: 1- you can swing the 5N: 2- you won't be using an advanced flash unit. As I already have a DSLR to cover the APS-C format base, I'd be more tempted by a svelte Micro4/3 for travel.

Just one best wine view,
Kelly Cook
thanks for the comments.. as for the NEX-5N... it is outside my budget (around $400) maybe the NEX-5K but in that price bracket I might be able to get the newer NEX-C3
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
1. No not really. Both of the standard zooms are pretty wide, and with digital you can stich or shoot panoramas if you need to go even wider. This is the least of your worries.

2. For video and AF the GF2 is probably the best of your 3 options, and yes you will need a telephoto.

3. Some people love em, some aren't bothered.

For cheerleading, if indoors, these are not great still cameras. They are not good enough at very high ISO, the AF systems will struggle a bit, and the lenses are slow. I would expect the GF2 to give you quite decent video results however, and that would be my choice on your budget.
outside the video what would make you choose the GF2 -- the AF speed?

just wondering cause video is not big on my list.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:16 PM   #6

peripatetic - is there a camera that I should be looking at for the indoors cheer leading stills? something around $400 with high IQ?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:15 PM   #7

indoor pics are rough with the average lens. what you need is the fastest lens (the one with the smallest f/stop) that you can find. the catch is that these lenses tend to be primes, no no zoom, and don't tend to have a lot of reach. will you be close to the cheer leaders? if so, the panasonic 20mm 1.7 would be a good lens for the job, and would be in your price range. if you'll be back in the stands, it may not do

this one might also be worth a look - close to as fast
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Zuiko-.../dp/B0058PL9QG

Last edited by pcake; Jan 30, 2012 at 4:18 PM.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:54 PM   #8

Quote:
what should I be considering for landscapes?
At least 28mm (35mm eqv). The kit zooms get you to that width. Even wider is better, and for wider Sony has a definite price advantage.

Quote:
indoors cheer leading stills? something around $400 with high IQ?
That budget will just get you a used DSLR body and used DSLR "nifty fifty" f/1.8 lens. Definitely a nice rig for this, though an adapter could put the same lens on a NEX body (with more problematic AF).

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:28 PM   #9

One thing to bear in mind(as wildlife and cheer-leading is on the agenda) is the frame rate/burst mode,speed of auto-focus and most important of all- can you track/follow the action via the electronic viewfinder(like an optical one)..?
I'm not too clued up on this,having rarely used an EVIL camera- maybe someone here can advise on this matter....? Apparently not all EVIL's can....!!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:09 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
peripatetic - is there a camera that I should be looking at for the indoors cheer leading stills? something around $400 with high IQ?
No, not really. The GF2 is pretty much as good as you will get. The next step up costs a significant multiple of your budget.

I would not recommend a used DSLR, except possibly for a pro model. Much too expensive though.

The GF2 and standard zooms will get you some decent shots, but your keeper rate is going to be very low from motion blur and noise. A lot better than any P&S or bridge camera however, but your expectations should be modest.