Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:12 PM   #1

Default All Over the Board..

I'm having a hard time figuring out what type of camera I want.. let alone which models.. can someone please help so I can figure out what I should narrow down towards based on my wants?

I'm looking for a camera mostly due to my soon to be born son. We're wanting something to take good pictures inside and out, since so much will be done in the home. We're also very interested in being a highly capable video shooter for those first steps or what have you. I'd like it to be able to take pictures that are clearly not from a camera phone or cheap P&S, but not sure if I'm ready for a DSL-R. Since he's just being born, and perhaps I would upgrade in the future I'm not sure that fast action from sports is something I'm going to need.

I've looked at everything from the S95/100 to UltraZooms, PenE-PL1, and entry DSL-Rs. I think that some portability is going to be desired so I think DSLR is out, but I'm not sure that something as pocketable as the S100 is necessary.

Ideally it'd cost under $350.. but I'd spend up to $450-500 if it was worth while. Can anyone give me some helpful advice to point me in the right direction?
devlynsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:34 AM   #2

Panasonic's FZ-150 is worth consideration- as it's(in my humble opinion)probably the most versatile camera out there at present- plenty of zoom range,plenty of speed(autofocus AND frame rate),good image quality for a "bridge" camera- and a very capable video shooter indeed.
Something smaller to consider is the new Panasonic TZ30 due out anytime...
http://www.techradar.com/news/photog...review-1057580
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:21 PM   #3
Super Moderator

The last few months have seen some truly tremendous innovations:

1. Nikon V1 + twin lens kit. (Good quality, very fast and versatile.)
2. Canon G1 X (Good quality and a nice little zoom.)
3. Fuji X10 (Good quality and very cool.)

A nice step above the P&S brigade, but more portable, and not as bulky and requiring less commitment than a DSLR.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:13 PM   #4

good indoor pics without flash or with flash?
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 4:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
good indoor pics without flash or with flash?
Since they would be of a baby primarily, I would think that I would try to take them without flash when possible.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 4:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Panasonic's FZ-150 is worth consideration- as it's(in my humble opinion)probably the most versatile camera out there at present- plenty of zoom range,plenty of speed(autofocus AND frame rate),good image quality for a "bridge" camera- and a very capable video shooter indeed.
Something smaller to consider is the new Panasonic TZ30 due out anytime...
http://www.techradar.com/news/photog...review-1057580
This was being considered, but the Panny and other ultra zoom cameras seemed as big as DSLRs.

I'm thinking about something like the T2i if I do go with something of that size though.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 4:15 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlynsyde View Post
Since they would be of a baby primarily, I would think that I would try to take them without flash when possible.
Actually in my experience babies don't mind flash at all. The parents get insanely protective and irate, but the babies really aren't bothered in general.

If yours cries however, well then, stop obviously.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:44 PM   #8

I have a FZ150 and it's good at everything but low light. It's just isn't physically possible to get it all in one package. I'm thinking of getting a complement camera just for that, maybe a Pana GF2/3 with Pana 20/1.7 or just a Canon S100.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:54 PM   #9

To the OP...check out the Nikon P7100. If you go to Amazon.com and select the one actually being sold by Amazon as opposed to third parties, the price is $389 as of today. Zoom range of 28-200mm, a sensor larger than most point-and-shoots or superzooms (same size as a Canon G12 or S95/100 but not as large as a DSLR or micro four thirds) and great external controls if you want them. Even a built-in optical viewfinder if you have problems with the rear LCD in bright sunlight.

Also... The Olympus E-PM1 runs $499 or less. If the kit lens isn't fast eough for you, you can add Oly's 17mm f/2.8 or Panasonic's 20mm f1.7 later.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:59 PM   #10

I got started with DSLR's because I had a point and shoot camera that took way too long to take the photo of my newborn. There seemed to be a delay of 2 or 3 seconds for the camera to take the shot after I pressed the shutter release button.

So I am not saying what camera to buy. I am saying, if the camera doesn't shoot when you hit the button, you will come to hate the camera because you missed too many great shots because of shutter delay.
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote