Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Well the OM-D has been announced. It looks like a real beauty. The very first 4/3 camera that has ever tempted me.

And it looks fantastic. A perfect gift for your daughter I reckon!
If anybody in my house is going to get the OM-D camera system it will be me. Loved my old OM-1, used it for years. Don't see me getting one for me as the wife and I have way too much Canon gear and don't feel like starting over buying new gear again. Looking like the Sony NEX-3 is what we will be getting my daughter. It's a bit more than I was wanting to spend but she can grow with that camera for quite a while. Still going to take her out looking at cameras to make sure what she really wants in a camera.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Yep.. and that also tends to give photographers a bad reputation and we already have too much negative press about how photographers are invading privacy, with groups pressing to ban public photography over it.

Here's a good essay on the subject written by Petteri Sulonen, giving some of the reasons why using a telephoto lens is a bad idea:

Telephoto is for Cowards
Does this mean we shouldn't use those phony lenses that look like you're shoot straight ahead but really is shooting at a 90 deg angle?

No, I haven't figured out how to use multi quotes, yet.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:17 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
...No, I haven't figured out how to use multi quotes, yet.
Click on the "multi-quote" button that contains the original text you want to quote. It's the icon just to the right of the larger Quote button at the bottom of each post here.

When you click on it, you'll see the icon for it change colors.

You can then do the same thing with more posts if desired (watching for the multi-quote button to change colors, indicating it will be included the next time you quote a post).

Then, use the full size quote button in the last post you want to Quote, and you'll see quotes from multiple posts in your reply.

For example, if you wanted to quote text from peripatetic and me, you'd click the Multi-Quote button at the bottom of the post from peripatetic so that the button changes colors. Then, when you click the larger Quote Button at the bottom of the post I made, you'll see quotes from both posts in your reply.

Note that when you click on the multi-quote buttons again, that changes their color back to normal so you're no longer including text from them in replies you quote.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:41 AM   #24

Thanks, Jim, I'll give it a try soon.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:12 PM   #25

Here is a sample of what my daughter likes to shoot. This was a candid shot, which is why she wants to be sure the camera has fast focus.

This is also why I have to keep working at my photography all the time. She is one tough in house competition and I can't let her beat me.lol

Last edited by Calicajun; Feb 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 4:21 PM   #26

Amazon has the Olympus elp-1 on sale for something like $279.00. This includes the standard kit lens. For that price, it is a steal....
Vision of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 6:59 AM   #27
Super Moderator

Don't be a meany. Get her the OM-D.

Or if that's the kind of stuff she likes to shoot, then an X100.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 7:55 AM   #28

The nex-3 will be perfect. we fancy photographers generally downgrade a camera for lack of a viewfinder but p&s/iphone upgraders don't care. and for casual photography the lcd is less obtrusive. the aps-c sensor is the hidden bonus. and if she really takes to the game, you could get her an adaptor and some manual lenses and she'd be above the pack.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 7:46 PM   #29

Going to have make a father daughter day and go look at cameras. Just not a lot of camera stores around town, so we will have to drive down to Hollywood, CA to check out some cameras. I better get a move on as she turns 21 in mid March, time is getting short like my pocket book.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:37 AM   #30

The OM-D is a really nice present if the price tag is with in reason. And since candid and some low light stuff. The ability to shoot a fast prime is another nice plus to the olympus line up. Now if the price of the OM-D is a bit steep, the ep3 is very. And you will have the largest lens selection in the mirror less option with the olympus/panasonic lenses.