Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:43 AM   #1

Default Which 4/3 Style Camera?

My daughter (21) wants a new camera, as her current point and shoot is not fast enough to capture street scene people in action. She has a great eye for composition but still wants the camera to be easy to set and use. We ruled out Canon Rebel line as it too big for her to carry everywhere, that choice keeps my Canon 7D and Ti1 safe. Have been looking at the Olympus Pen?, Panasonic G??, and the Sony NEX3. She wants a camera that will not only focus fast but focus where she wants it too focus. So far after playing with one Panasonic G?? and the Sony NEX3, we couldn't figure out how or if possible to have a single point focus instead of the multi points that showed up. Of course IQ and low light is also a must have too.

So any suggestion or comments that may lead us in the right direction would be a big help to us.

Thanks,
Craig
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:00 PM   #2

G'day Craig

On my panny G2, [and 'her' FZ100] there are 4-styles of focus points available both via the Qwik-menu button &/or the small dial at the top LHS. The 4 options are spot/centre focus [small or medium spot] vs centre-weighted [about 13 points] vs multi focus [about 40 points] vs moving-subject / follow focus and of course no focus ie: manual

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:00 PM   #3

I'd check out the new Pentax K-01 just introduced. It has a large (Sony) ASP-C sensor and the Pentax K mount that allows use of Pentax lens and third party lens with K mounts.

I think the 4/3rds cameras have smaller sensors and are restricted in comparison to a small number of lenses.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:24 PM   #4

calicajun - I just went through the same hunt as you and here is what i found;

Sony - really nice but also more expensive than the others. Big downer is the flash options are very limited since it comes with a small detachable one and the only other one you can get to fit is from sony and marginally better, but no where near the options you have with other cameras. ditto external shutter triggers (sony only and not on the 3 or c3).

Olympus - make sure you don't get the e-pl1, e-p1 or e-p2 with the 14-42mm kit lens as it is slow to autofocus - look at the e-pl2, e-p3 or e-pl3. good accessory selection, good image quality, compact size. in body image stabilization means old manual focus lenses can be used except you will likely need to buy the $200 vf-2 electronic viewfinder.

Panasonic -fast lenses and great video but image quality from what I saw was lacking, otherwise great bang for buck.

In the end I went for the e-pl2, just got it today and so far am really liking it. Really I don't think you could go wrong with any of these, depending on your needs and budget it still may be a hard choice.

Last edited by ramcewan; Feb 4, 2012 at 1:27 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:11 PM   #5

Good information from all, thanks.
Think maybe I'll have to take her to Samys camera to look around and try out each camera. Not my first choice of things to do, as the wife and I sometimes go a little carzy in that camera store with three floors of stuff...well you know.

Thanks again,
Craig
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:30 PM   #6

Don't dismiss the Panasonics until you've tried them out. I sold my DSLR and bought a G3 in September. I've been very happy with the image quality and one of my holiday pics got POTD here. Recently I've been taking shots at iso 3200 of our hamsters when they come out to play in the evening. The results have been more than just acceptable.

Kat
mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:36 PM   #7

The G3's a sound choice- especially given the viewfinder,making it easier to track moving subjects- using centre area focus also....
Just make sure the viewfinder doesn't black out in burst mode- rendering all fps/focus speeds useless....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 5:39 PM   #8

While panny is m4/3 the lens option are less appealing then oly. Any long lens, like the 75-300 is not a good option on the panny without IS, 600mm is really hard to keep steady is less then idea lighting. And the panny 100-300 is not sharp as the oly, but it is reflected in the pricing. A good all purpose lens like the 14-150 is small and light not as good for a panny body with out IS, vs the panny 14-140HD which is a great HD lens, but it is allot bulkier.

The pentax k-01 will be a premium when it comes out, as it is new. And you will need to wait a couple of months. But it is k mount so the dslr lenses work. But the larger zoom, a dslr lens really through the balance of the camera off. But the k mount limited are nice compact lens, but very very pricey.

With the epl-1 it is the kit lens was not as fast, but with the firmware they push out last year, it is almost as fast as the panny kit lens in speed. But when you mount a msc lens on it, it is a very fast system. Not as fast as the ep3 or the epm1. But still very good.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 4, 2012 at 8:22 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:15 PM   #9

More good tips, thanks.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:23 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Have you considered the Nikon V1 or perhaps the Fuji X10?