Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:40 PM   #1

Default Bitten by a T3i

I recently had the pleasure of using a T3i and Iím sold. I particularly like the speed with which it shoots (single and burst modes). However, I need to justify its price, especially since Iíll be upgrading from a Samsung S860 (yes, I know these are 2 completely different classes of cameras, so donít laugh ).

I have a couple questions:
  • What feature determines the shooting speed (the delay between pressing the button and a single picture being taken)?
  • Are there any other (less expensive) alternatives I should consider?
Thanks!
malphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:21 AM   #2

hi and welcome if you like the t3i then want to save then try the t2i. its has the same sensor just lcks a swivel screen and wirless flash
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:36 AM   #3

Obviously,if using slow shutter speeds this will slow down the burst rate a fraction,as will your chosen autofocus area and autofocus type- in addition to the autofocus speed of the said lens attached.
Also,if shooting at high iso's,enabling the high iso noise reduction can slow things up a bit...
The Canon T3i(600D in the UK) is a fine camera,though to be honest- it's burst rate is actually quite slow by some standards at 3.7 frames per second.
If taking quick images on a budget is required- then the much cheaper Pentax K-r capable of 6 frames per second might be worth a look.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:03 AM   #4

Quote:
What feature determines the shooting speed (the delay between pressing the button and a single picture being taken)?
Assuming the camera is already past it's power on sequence, and the built-in flash is not being used, this time will be the time needed for auto focus. With all DSLR cameras the time needed for phase detect AF will be super quick compared to a little compact digicam. AF for the LiveView LCD mode (instead of viewfinder) can be a very different matter however. Most DSLR cameras use contrast detect AF for their LV mode (same as a compact). So if LV is important to you, then it will really pay to research the reviews on that topic.

Kelly Cook
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:07 PM   #5

I got the T2i a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving it. I went from the Fuji HS20 to the T2i and it's like night and day. I looked at the T3i as well but decided on the T2i because it was $150 cheaper and I didn't care that much about the swivel screen or the remote flash. Other than a few more video options, there pretty much the same.

EFS 15-85
EF 100-400 L IS ll

http://timpharoahphotography.ca/
HavToNo is offline   Reply With Quote