Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:24 AM   #1

Default Pentax entry level or Mirrorless?

Hi all,

Long time listener, first time caller...or whatever the photography equivalent is.

Just after a quick bit of help - I understand there have been countless threads started on here re: DSLR vs Mirrorless, and I've spent an age trawling through them all, but I have a specific question:

- Friend has offered to sell me one of his old Pentax K200d cameras

I currently just use a P/S, but feel like I'm getting to the limits, and wouldn't mind trying something new. I generally take photos in the city, landscapes, architecture and people milling about - I also enjoy sports, and would love to eventually take sport photography, but I understand that this is more geared toward higher-end gear, and at the moment, I'm just after something that I can take with me whenever I leave the house to cover most situations. Also enjoy some low-light photography.

Question is - do I grab this off him and see how I like it, or do I spend more and go for a mirrorless (NEX or G3, most likely....). Size isn't a consideration, but certainly not the only one - most definitely happy to compromise on size for other benefits.

Any help would be appreciated - cheers in advance!
overeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:00 AM   #2

you put sports, while I love mirrorless cameras they are still limited in their ability to shoot sports. Besides the camera's AF not being able to AF as fast between shots, there is also EVF lag. They also do not have the lenses to shoot action. The G3 and new pens have fast first shot AF, but the evf blackout really makes tracking an moving target for a multi shot burst more of a challenge.

While the pentax will be better for action. The pentax lens line up does not have as many lenses for much growth in action shooting. If you want to expand the action shooting canon and nikon are the route to go.

If you take out the sport/action requirement. The mirror less can do a very nice jobs for the other things you shoot.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 3:59 AM   #3

For all the above mentioned- I'd go with a DSLR- not just for sports,but for anything "candid" or fidgety...
If you're being offered the K200D at a reasonable price- then it would be a good place to start learning the DSLR ropes. It's a pretty straightforward model to use and has the benefit of built in shake reduction- just make sure you use pretty decent re-chargeable AA batteries. I wouldn't invest too much in any one system to begin with- make sure a DSLR fits your needs,then decide which make/model best suits your requirements....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:01 AM   #4

yep, to be honest, sport shooting really isn't a huge concern for me at the moment - maybe in a number of years time when I'm a little more proficient, but for the time being, I'm just after something that'll handle the other things I want to do well enough to help me learn.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
For all the above mentioned- I'd go with a DSLR- not just for sports,but for anything "candid" or fidgety...
If you're being offered the K200D at a reasonable price- then it would be a good place to start learning the DSLR ropes. It's a pretty straightforward model to use and has the benefit of built in shake reduction- just make sure you use pretty decent re-chargeable AA batteries. I wouldn't invest too much in any one system to begin with- make sure a DSLR fits your needs,then decide which make/model best suits your requirements....
Hi.
Thanks for the response - that sounds pretty sensible, and there'd be about a $400 or so price difference between getting the two. Cheers!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:52 PM   #6

Another advantage of the K200 is that it's got weather sealing (not water proof), handy for showers and dusty locations. Note that it would probably come without a sealed lens, though, so you'd still have to protect the camera/lens coupling. But even with that limitation, I had no problems shooting in snow, keeping the camera pointed lens-down under my jacket. The (sealed) back of the camera was exposed to the snow that was falling, and that worked fine - I'd just pull the camera up to take the picture and then put it back under the jacket.

The sensor on the K200 is the same one in the K10 - it's good outdoors, has very nice colors and rendering. It's limited when it comes to high ISO, especially at ISO 1600, but is acceptable at 800. As long as you get it at a good price, it's worth it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 3:59 PM   #7

A buddy has a Pentax K200D. It was his first good camera, he's had it for...about 4 years...and he's very happy with it.

I go out shooting with him once a week and he has about 4 or 5 Pentax lenses. He's developed a portfolio of pictures, may be showing some of his photos at a local exhibit soon.

His photographic ability has grown by leaps and bounds.

What I;m saying is the K200D is an excellent camera...and as others have said...you can use millions of older Pentax lenses as well as the new stuff.

If you want mirrorless...you should check out the new Pentax K-01...it has a DSLR ASP-C sensor of the size, which I believe is bigger than the 4/3rds cameras.

I could be wrong and if I am, anyone correct me.

The other thing is that this K-01 also has a Pentax K-mount...which allows it to use the many Pentax SLR/DSLR lenses...both older and new.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:31 PM   #8

lesmore49, you're right about the pentax k-01 using the aps-c sensor. it has a crop factor of 1.5 where u4/3 and 4/3 have a 2X crop. once mirrorless comes into the camera choice equation, there is much to consider. built in evf or not is a big one to me.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:04 PM   #9

Hi all - thanks for the awesome responses.

Sounds like most are leaning towards the slr - is this traditionalists refusing to embrace the new, or better bang for my buck ?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by overeem View Post
Hi all - thanks for the awesome responses.

Sounds like most are leaning towards the slr - is this traditionalists refusing to embrace the new, or better bang for my buck ?
No, I don't think so. I've got Pentax DSLR's and a Canon G 12...an advanced compact. Both have their places...sort of different horses for different courses as the Irish horse racing aficionados would say.

If I were only able to have one type of camera...an advanced compact, a 4/3rds mirror less or a DSLR....my decision would be made in an instant...the DSLR.

More lenses, generally bigger sensor and I like the way a DSLR handles. But that's me and I've had 35mm Rangefinders, SLR's, Medium Format Film, TLR's, compact 35 mm cameras, etc...but my favourites have always been the film SLR...or the digital SLR.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote