Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 14, 2012, 5:57 PM   #1

Default If battery life was the only consideration..

If battery life was the only consideration for a new camera, what type of battery would be ideal? (and, for extra credit, what $200ish camera uses them?)

My current (partially broken) camera takes 4 nimh rechargeable AA's. I like this system. I know 4 adds to the weight vs. 2, but I guess I get more power than 2. I like that I can carry around more recharged rechargeables or alkalines to have on hand as backup. I don't think many cameras have this configuration.

I suspect 2 AA's are not going to have as long-life as 4.

I suspect li-ions (sp?) are the longest lasting (& lightest weight?) power but you are tied to a charger. I have so many chargers around my house, I get really sick of frequent charging. My 4 AA nimh's and my usage only require recharging every two-three months (for 500-600 pics).

I have just starting the camera-choosing process, but I feel a need to start from the bottom up. My needs are not as particular on other criteria (although I reserve the right to get picky on other criteria as I get going...)
gardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:17 PM   #2

I always found Sanyo Eneloops lasted the longest of any of the rechargeable AAs I used. Also they can hld a charge for many months.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:41 PM   #3

sorry, I didn't mean which exactly kind of rechargeable. I meant camera with 2 rechargeable AA's, vs. camera with 4 rechargeable AA's, vs. camera with lithium-ion vs. whatever-else-there-is...?????

Last edited by gardengal; Feb 14, 2012 at 7:56 PM.
gardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 2:42 PM   #4

G'day GG

Like your train of thought ....

For a camera to use 2x AA batteries, it therefore needs to be a small camera - okay there
I would suggest you invest some time on the DP Review site and meander thru their cameras database and find one that suits your needs, It will be a long process, so I suggest that you boil the billy first...

Insofar as batteries are concerned, without doubt AA rechargeables are the best 'bang for the buck', but camera [& phone] makers are going for other chemistry as they can make the battery -and then the device itself- all that much smaller

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote