Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:50 PM   #1

Default Need advice on Travel Camera

Thanks to the advice of this board, I have a Canon T1i and love it. I travel with my grandchildren to many activities and soon to Disney World.
It's difficult to take that camera and lenses with me and 4 little ones and their "have to haves".
I would like to have:
good picture quality
fast shutter speed without a lag between pictures
10x or more lens
decent video
probably under $300
I don't need all the extras that are on most cameras.
I've researched and think the Canon SX230 would be good. Does anyone have any feedback or any other camera I should consider?
Thanks for any help. I'm sure I will not be as pleased with the photos, but at least I'll be able to carry it.
j320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:08 PM   #2

Lag is something you need to accept if you want a pns camera. The SX are good camera. But accept the shutter lag. The best with shutter lag with pns are the casio camera, something like the zr100.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:28 PM   #3

Thank you shoturtle. You are the main reason I have the T1i! I also love the lenses you suggested.
I have the canon sx110 and I like the pictures but hate the shutter lag. I won't use it.
I also have the panazonic tz3. I don't mind the shutter lag, but not happy with the picture quality.
Would the shutter lag be less in the 230 than the sx110?
Will the 230 or zr100 be better than what I have?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:43 PM   #4

casio are the fastest in the point and shoot world currently. The photo quality is quite nice from flickr samples I have looked at from user. And the zr100 has a 12.5x zoom. It may fit your needs.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:57 PM   #5

Thanks, I'll check into it.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 4:49 AM   #6

I personally still think the TZ's take some beating in this class... also bear in mind things have moved on a little since the TZ3..!
They have all the features you need,with arguably the best lens,swift autofocus,full manual controls etc...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:13 PM   #7

I have had the ZR100 for about 7 months. It's a great camera for its superfast burst mode. It has a grade HDR and HDR Art setting for high dynamic range pics. It doesn't have the greatest image stabilization so it can be hard to get sharp shots at full zoom in dim light. It has the best panoramic stitching mode of any camera I have used. It's much easier to use for panoramas than the Nikon P500 or the Sony A55. It's a fun camera.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:03 PM   #8

Thanks robbo for your personal review on the ZR100 since I was having trouble finding any personal reviews.
SIMON40, I'm not sure I understand your post since most of this is beyond me. I'm not sure who the "they" are who have the best lens....
I really appreciate the help. My family is growing tired of me wanting new cameras so I'm really under pressure to get this right.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:17 PM   #9

any point and shoot with a small sensor and long zoom do not preform well in low light. Above 400iso, the 1/2.23 sensor camera all have soft photos. 800iso is pushing it.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:01 AM   #10

What camera would I have to go to -to get a better sensor?