Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:34 PM   #11

Did you also have a look at the Nikon D5100 which has the same sensor as the D7000 with the best DR in the APS-C line up of DSLRs by any company besides perhaps Pentax K5?
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:05 PM   #12

Well, I finally got a chance to play with the camera (The Powershot SX40) at Best Buy today. I have to say it was a wonderful camera, and I should be getting it pretty darn soon. The Best Buy expert answered the three main questions I had about it:

1. Yes, manual focus is in video mode.

2. It can do great in low light settings but more like in downtown areas and in theme park settings with lots of lights.

3. Eight hours of full HD (1080p/24fps) video in ten minute increments with a 32GB card.

Sounds great, are these answers accurate?
Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:28 AM   #13

Good luck,enjoy the SX40
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:44 PM   #14

Hi,

I have read some reports saying that the Autofocus capabilities of the SX40 are quite poor compared to other superzoom cameras, especially in low light, and quite slow. Can you confirm this, or is it exaggerated?
Jackie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 6:09 PM   #15

Jackie78- whilst not up to DSLR speed,I have found the autofocus speed to be more than acceptable- by all accounts not as fast as the Panny' FZ-150,but that IS the quickest in the autofocus stakes. If however you're concerned about this issue- go to a retailer and try it out- use full zoom,wide angle,in a room with little light etc...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:24 AM   #16

Well, after thinking about it a bit more, I've decided to take the several months to save up for the $1200 T3i. I know that is going to do the job I need it to do (high quality photos and video in low light, manual focus everywhere), whereas the cheaper SX40 I still have concerns about despite the positive things I've heard about it. I will attempt to get the T3i in time for Christmas (Black Friday, anyone?).

In case you're wondering why I'm so anal about 1080p/24fps, it's because I need a good camera to film music videos and take photos for rap/hip hop as well as film my adventures in theme parks (I am a coaster lover). I have to go around to these stores and play with the T3i even more.

Last edited by Perro; Feb 20, 2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:09 AM   #17

The T3i's a great camera- and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Maybe spend some time researching what is the best lens for it...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:41 PM   #18

Perro,take a look at this post !!!

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...-fz-150-a.html
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:54 PM   #19

Took a look at that post. It definitely looks like a great cam, but there is no 1080p/24fps mode. The 24fps stuff are in lower resolutions, though. There are ways to "downgrade" it using video editing software, but I was always told to shoot your video at the resolution and frame rate in the first place. Or else, "downgrading" or "upgrading" would make your video look all choppy and unnatural.

Question on the SD card - is the eight hours of video in 10 minute increments in 1080p/24fps mode on a 32GB SD Card accurate?

I love the possibilities with the T3i. But it will be months before I can cough up $1200 for it.

Last edited by Perro; Feb 21, 2012 at 10:56 PM.