Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 18, 2012, 3:02 PM   #1

Default Low light improvement over T2i??

Hello everyone... I have been away lately, I am moving to a new house in a few weeks... so kind of busy.
Anyway, last time around I was trying to decide which m4/3 for travel, but, didn't like the feel of the EPL3, and loved the EP3 but have a hard time dealing with the high price and old sensor... liked the panasonic G3, but not sure if it is much of an improvement weight/size wise over my T2i. So I guess that is on hold.
But, I finally found out what I really would like... some low light improvement. My best lowlight lens is the 50 f1.8 followed by the 100 f2.8 macro, and have a 430EXII. But Find that sometimes need to take some pics without flash and don't like how iso 800 and up look on my T2i. Sometimes after running them through denoise they are fine.
Is there a way to improve this? Either by upgrading the camera or by getting a new lens? Can't afford to go full frame. Will canon be releasing a new improved log light sensor soon?

Thank you, and as always you have been a great help---
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2012, 2:38 PM   #2

the g3 is significantly smaller and lighter than the t2i, and for me it's much more comfortable to hold. add in that the panasonic 20 mm f/1.7 pancake lens is much lighter (and very good in low light) than your canon 50mm and the entire rig weighs much less. i was handling the t2i and the g3 together at fry's, and it was quite a difference.

check out this video of the panasonic pancake in action at night!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q3uo...ure=plpp_video
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 4:37 PM   #3

Thank you. One question though, would the oly pus 45f1.4 on a olympus/panasonic body allow me to shoot at lower iso than my canon 1.8 on apc? Does the sensor size matter? From online comparison seems that panasonic gx1 sensor is almost equal to Canon currently apsc sensor performance at higher iso.
Thanks...
I might have to jump to a lighter setup after all, due to ashoulder injury that might take longer to heal than expected..
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:22 PM   #4

shoulder and wrist injury are why i'm looking at lighter rigs.

is your main concern shooting in lower light or specifically concerned with better looking pics at high ISO? i mean, you can slow down your shutter speed, maybe use a tripod to stay at lower ISO's while shooting in lower light. i got some impressive results from my canon 50mm 1.8 on my old 30D, but i've seen some very impressive results from the panny 20mm, but 20mm isn't great for all.

keep in mind that an oly lens won't correct on a panny body and vise versa, but that may not be a problem for you.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:10 PM   #5

The problem, so far is that I can't take longer exposure times, because i have to deal with subject movement.
Thanks...
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:57 PM   #6

G3 at ISO 1600 indoor lighting - you can get to the full sized image through the actions dropdown
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cameralabs/5792621070/

and one at ISO 800 darkish bar
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cameralabs/5792611014/
(samples from cameralabs)

these are with much slower lenses, so figure it would do better with one of the pancakes.