Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:52 PM   #11

I have panny FZ150, I pick up FZ 150 over canon sx40, but for me it come to the way the camera handles, FZ 150 seets better in my hands. Feels better , especially both being the same price.
mistwalker1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:24 AM   #12

Camdevil- both have basic "auto" modes to get you going,whilst you learn the ins and outs of the camera. As for simplicity- I guess the S100 would seem less daunting at first glance,looking very much like a "point and shoot". The SX40's one flaw is that some of the buttons are placed in slightly inconvenient places- and can be hit accidentally at first- making you wonder what's going on..! This,of course,is less of an issue once you get used to the camera.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdevil View Post
thanks a lot simons. i have narrow downed to s100 and sx40. and waiting for good deal. one LAST question which is easy to use s100 or sx40 ? ( iam very new to photography)
clearly s100(1/1.7 in sensor) give you better quality than sx40((1/2.3 in sensor)).

both are canon camera so you will get about similar way to use settings.

Arround similar cost you have to trade-off :
s100--> small, sleak and better picture quality
sx40 --> bulkier and 35x zoom + articulated LCD + you can add filters.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:08 AM   #14

If it were me, I would go with the Nikon P7000. I just bought one for $260.00. The big knock on the P7000 was the autofocus and slow RAW write speed. That has been fixed with firmware version 1.2. Now let me explain something. I own a Samsung EX1, Cannon G12, and a new Nikon P7000. The Samsung EX1 has better IQ (image quality) then the Cannon G12. After conducting tests with the Nikon P7000 and comparing it with the 2 other cameras, the Cannon G12 came in last. The G12 was sold yesterday. If you spend time and read the reviews on each camera, you will find that all of the cameras listed are neck and neck as far as IQ and pro's and cons. Each share the same sensor. The big difference is what camera the reviewer gets. Back in the film days, I went into the local camera shop and tested a lens before I bought it. If fact a lot of photographers did this. There is a secret. If you and I have the same exact lens from the same camera maker, yours might be sharper then mine or mine might be sharper then yours. There are to many variables that come into play when making a lens. Impurities of the glass, the curvature of the glass, the air trapped between the glass elements, etc. When you order or purchase a camera, you are basically rolling the dice and praying that you get a good one with a sharp lens. Like I said before, all three cameras are very close, I ended up with 2 real gems and one turkey that was shown the door. Again for $260.00 you can buy the Nikon P7000, plus have extra cash. With money saved you can purchase a remote for long exposures, an extra battery, maybe a few filters, and a plug in or two. I hope this helps you.

Last edited by Vision of Dreams; Feb 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
Vision of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:58 PM   #15

Thanks Simon for your valuable suggestion...I hope it will help me to choose the right one..
Neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 1:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision of Dreams View Post
If it were me, I would go with the Nikon P7000. I just bought one for $260.00. The big knock on the P7000 was the autofocus and slow RAW write speed. That has been fixed with firmware version 1.2. Now let me explain something. I own a Samsung EX1, Cannon G12, and a new Nikon P7000. The Samsung EX1 has better IQ (image quality) then the Cannon G12. After conducting tests with the Nikon P7000 and comparing it with the 2 other cameras, the Cannon G12 came in last. The G12 was sold yesterday. If you spend time and read the reviews on each camera, you will find that all of the cameras listed are neck and neck as far as IQ and pro's and cons. Each share the same sensor. The big difference is what camera the reviewer gets. Back in the film days, I went into the local camera shop and tested a lens before I bought it. If fact a lot of photographers did this. There is a secret. If you and I have the same exact lens from the same camera maker, yours might be sharper then mine or mine might be sharper then yours. There are to many variables that come into play when making a lens. Impurities of the glass, the curvature of the glass, the air trapped between the glass elements, etc. When you order or purchase a camera, you are basically rolling the dice and praying that you get a good one with a sharp lens. Like I said before, all three cameras are very close, I ended up with 2 real gems and one turkey that was shown the door. Again for $260.00 you can buy the Nikon P7000, plus have extra cash. With money saved you can purchase a remote for long exposures, an extra battery, maybe a few filters, and a plug in or two. I hope this helps you.
Sir I'm a amateur photographer,new in this field.So I want a camera which works as a DSLR as well as IQ should be close to DSLR..I saw G12 n P7100 and I liked the both camera.But as Simon said that P7100 has some advantages overG12 but still IQ is better of G12..but after reading of your view if have add Samsung EX1 in my list..can you please upload some captured sample photos of EX1, P7000 and G12..then it will help me a lot..thanks
Old Feb 24, 2012, 1:39 PM   #17

@Vision of dreams
Sir I'm an amateur photographer.I'm looking for a compact camera which has functions of DSLR as well IQ (at least close to dslr).As Simon said P7100 has some advantages over G12 but still IQ is better of G12.But after reading your reply I have to add Samsung EX1 in my list..its a good camera also, but I'M still confused between those cameras..Can you please upload some captured sample photos by G12,EX1,P7100 and P7000..it will help me a lot to choose the right one...thanks