Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:21 PM   #1

Default APS-C or micro 4/3? Sony or Panasonic?

Hi! I'm looking to get a new camera and would really appreciate any advice. I've been using a Panasonic LX for the last few years (LX-3, now LX-5). I really like my LX-5 and don't plan on retiring it but would love to start experimenting with a more robust camera where I can play around with a wider range of manual settings. I'd rather not lug around a DSLR so it seems like a compact APS-C or micro 4/3 is what I should be looking at. I've read lots of reviews but my head is spinning from so many technical specs and it's been tough parsing out what's relevant to my needs.

I'd like (in no particular order):

• Ability to shoot in low light indoors
  • decent wide-angle shots (i'm used to my lx-5's F2.0 24mm lens, hence these 1st two bullet points)
  • some optical zoom (3x is fine)
  • 1080i/p video
  • fast autofocus
  • ideally carry no more than 2 lenses (1 on the body plus an extra)
I shoot mostly landscapes, architecture, and macro (i.e. food) but recently had a baby so I see a lot more portraits in the future. As she gets older and more mobile I'm sure having a camera with a faster autofocus will come in handy to catch those special "moments"

So APS-C or micro 4/3? I'm considering the Sony Nex-5N and Panasonic GX1, respectively. Which one would suit my needs best? I'd also appreciate feedback on which lenses to get since I've never had to shop for those separately before. Thanks!
sjc07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:11 AM   #2

The Panny GX1 coupled with the latest power-zoom 14-42 lens in certainly compact- almost as small as it would be with the pancake f/1.7 20mm lens fitted..!
However- in terms of image quality- and certainly high iso noise control- the Sony definitely surpasses the Panny in my opinion- and IS pocketable with 16mm f/2.8 attached- and has the ever useful tilting screen...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:32 AM   #3

[QUOTE=SIMON40;1287035]The Panny GX1 coupled with the latest power-zoom 14-42 lens in certainly compact- almost as small as it would be with the pancake f/1.7 20mm lens fitted..!
However- in terms of image quality- and certainly high iso noise control- the Sony definitely surpasses the Panny in my opinion- and IS pocketable with 16mm f/2.8 attached- and has the ever useful tilting screen [QUOTE]

I agree, also consider nikon's though
maleaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:02 PM   #4

G'day sjc

While a larger sensor is oft-quoted as 'better', it all depends upon what you're doing with your images - home use & viewing on the screen vs commercial use & printing 20" x 30" posters etc etc. I prefer smaller & lighter cameras to large, heavy ones with large sensors ... but that's me

I'd stick with the panny - you'd also be very familiar with its menu operations already and thus that will lessen any change-over issues

Regards, phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:46 PM   #5

There are way more prime lens options with the panny, you can use all the olympus primes as well as the panny ones. So you have a good 6 prime lenses to choose form. I would not put a olympus zoom on a panny body, no IS.

Sony is nice the nex 7 is a very good camera. but lens lineup are not as developed as the m4/3 option. If you shoot in allot of low light the sony is the better option. You will get a clearer image. Video is allot about lighting and how much you can put on your subject.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:47 AM   #6

Thanks for the feedback everyone. After a week of deliberating and doing more research I'm still haven't made a decision but am leaning towards the Sony simply because the two cameras are similarly priced at the moment and it provides better image quality.

I plan to mostly view photos on a laptop and 42"+ TV and print 8"x10"s, but also have the option for larger prints. We're moving to a new house this summer and would like to hang some prints on the empty walls (maybe even try one of those photo-to-canvas deals I keep seeing, which would mean going to at least 20"x30")...
sjc07 is offline   Reply With Quote