Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:30 PM   #1

Default Best compact with long zoom

Here's my second question for everyone. I am just about ready to purchase the Canon S100, but I wanted to see the opinions on the same size camera but with the longest zoom. What model have you used that has the best match of image quality to zoom length. As always, thanks!!
Harleydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:41 PM   #2

Sony Cybershot DSC-HX9V with 16x optical zoom .

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...9v-review.html
Old Feb 28, 2012, 5:24 AM   #3

Large zoom compacts will always be compromised to a degree by packing so much in to a compact body. Accepting such issues such as lens distortions,image noise,vignetting etc are all part of the compromise.
Given that- the Panasonic TZ series,In my humble opinion,still rules the roost...
Very well made,good specs,fast autofocus,sharp images with less noise reduction than some- and I'm looking forward to a review of the new TZ30...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:31 PM   #4

G'day HD

Simon is pretty much on the ball here > BUT

to me, a camera is like a pair of shoes ... lots of choices, all do much the same thing, BUT your feet have to be comfortable using them
And the same goes for cameras

The ergonomics of a camera is that your hand / fingers / eye must be comfortable with its size & shape. If something doesn't fit, if the menus are hard to follow etc etc then that camera is not for you despite how many friends recommend it.

You need to ask questions [like you are doing now] then go and play with your short-list of 2, maybe 3 cameras and choose what "fits your feet"

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:37 PM   #5

I'm interested in these too. How does the Canon sx230 rate?
j320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:09 AM   #6

What works for me is the Nikon S8200. It handles things a bit differently than most but I really like it. It gives great color, which you can adjust with hue and saturation sliders, it has good ergonomics (at least for my hands), the body has a nice satin rubber finish making it easy to grip, a nice 921K dot LCD and a good flash. It's also the only long zoom P&S I know of that has BOTH easy (Sony calls it Sweep) panorama and selective color (canon calls it Color Accent) creative modes. Some complain about the in-camera battery charging but I find that when I dump the pics to my computer I jut leave it on and let it finish charging while I post process. It's really quite handy.

My .02

Creating art from life's images...
L'duck <><

Abraham Lincoln
16th president of US (1809 - 1865)
locoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:05 PM   #7

Default Thank You!!

Thank you all very much for your replies. Based on your input I am looking at the Nikon 8200 and the Nikon 9100. I appreciate the time everyone has taken to respond.
Harleydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:38 PM   #8

I'm no expert, but the reviews I've read said that there were too many Nikon 9100 with problems. Seems to be a great camera if it works, but there are quality control issues.
That's why the price is dropping.

Last edited by j320; Mar 4, 2012 at 10:42 PM.
j320 is offline   Reply With Quote