Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 28, 2012, 1:16 PM   #1

Default waterproof camera

Hi...I've been looking to purchase a waterproof camera. I've been gravitating towards the lumix ts3 as I have had a lumix in the past that I was extremely happy with. Then, I saw the sample photos on this site and was disappointed.

I'm looking for something under $250. I've looked at the sony tx10 and the pentax optio wg-1 and it seems the winner is the sony tx10, but it's a little more than I wanted to spend.

What are your ideas on these "rugged" cameras? Is there a better option?
larene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:27 AM   #2

I've been looking at these for a long time. Look down in the threads and you will see a couple of my posts about the same thing with links to some reviews.

Those reviews are probably the most help I've had looking at them. If you will look a bit further on those links, you should see a link to other camparisons and reviews.

If I recall, I think the summary was that the Sony was slightly better than the Panasonic, and all the rest were well below those two.
Luke Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:30 AM   #3

That takes you to the summary page.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311...ctgrouptest/12
Luke Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:31 AM   #4

I have been using an Olympus SW1050 or is it a 1050SW since late 2009 I believe and use it in the rain, snow etc and never had an issue with it at all. The only drawback is that it ihas a 3x zoom so thats limiting at times but when when its raining and snowing it better to get a picture than not.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:21 AM   #5

Thanks...I've looked at all the reviews and with the price difference of being able to get the lumix for 215 and the sony for 265, I think I'm just going with the lumix. I can't justify spending an extra 50 when I've already set a limit at 250 max. The reason for the limit...I'm saving for a dslr as well and need to make sure I spend my money more wisely in that arena.
larene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:12 AM   #6

ive been looking at these also and i think the Pentax Optio WG-1 looks like the best for me, i like pentax, ive had a pentax dslr in the past and it was built like a tank (k20D)
having said that i quite like the look of the Nikon Coolpix AW100
decisions decisions lol

just ordered the nikon from amazon, will let you know what i think when it arrives if you like

Last edited by kazuya; Mar 5, 2012 at 8:58 AM.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 6:24 PM   #7

ive had the nikon aw100 for a few days and im getting used to it now, to me the pictures it takes seem pretty good for what it is, the easy auto mode where its suppossed to select the right mode for the scene i find a bit hit and miss but that doesnt really bother me as there are plenty of scene mode to select from manualy or a full auto if you prefer.
heres a list of pro's and cons ive found so far.

pro's
fast startup
decent picture quality
easy access to +- ev
1080p video
gps with a map
slow motion video
comes with a filter holder

con's
seems to suffer from lens flare
slow motion video is low quality (depending on speed)
screen is hard to see in sunlight
pressing the menu button takes you to the photo quality screen, which means you have to go back to the root menu to access other settings.
easy auto is hit an miss

im only used to using a dslr (nikon d90) so it would be easy to critisise the images but i dont think they are half bad and so far im just enjoying getting to know the camera and i like what i am seeing, it has a few cons, the worst being the lens flare but i think the pro's outweigh the cons.

heres a 100% with now editing for you to look at
Attached Images

kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:33 AM   #8

Default Know what you mean

Kazuya, I know what you mean by "im only used to using a dslr (nikon d90) so it would be easy to critisise the images". I shoot mainly with a dSLR too, but bought a waterproof camera when I realized I was not enjoying babying a dSLR all the time in nasty conditions like on beach sand, Kayaking and boat fishing etc.
I bought an Olympus TG-810. Initially I was disappointed with it's pictures, but after using it more I found that it was mostly me trying to force a good image in P mode, trying to apply my dSLR knowledge. I eventually tried the 'iAuto' mode for a while, and found I got much better images most of the time

Martin
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:23 AM   #9

GoPro Hero2 good to 197′ / 60m underwater,
1080P HD Video and 11mp still images.

1 cent under 300$ too