Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:04 PM   #1

Default Help???????

I have a Canon S3 IS. Yes, I know it's old, but I love it still. I don't have any accessories for it, and I'm certain I am not using it to it's full capabilities, but it has served my purposes well. Until now...... My daughters are avid softball players (basketball too, but softball is their love), and I get some decent shots, but would like to get much better ones. Any suggestions as to lenses, or if I should just bite the bullet and upgrade would be greatly appreciated.
SoftballCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2012, 3:40 AM   #2

The S3is was/is a fine little camera(I had two..!)- but in one or two areas would be lacking by today's standards.
Your daughters Softball playing highlights those very shortcomings- that being poor noise control past iso 200(necessary for moving subjects if light is less than ideal),a lack of a decent burst mode(though was one of the better ones back n the day),and lens fringing issues.
There are no "add on's" that will address these shortcomings- and you would indeed be best served by an upgrade- though I'd keep the S3is as a back up- as it's still a decent all rounder,with its great image stabiliser,surprisingly good video mode,swift autofocus and generally sharp lens.
The latest candidates for a "bridge" camera would be-
Canon SX40HS
Panasonic DMC-FZ150
Nikon P500(5100 due out)
Sony HX100v(200v due out)
Fujifilm HS20(30 due out soon)
Fuji XS1(if budget allows).

I own an SX40HS and am quite happy with it- though if outdoor sports are your bag- maybe consider the Panny' FZ-150 with its class leading autofocus speed and very fast burst mode.
Here's a few "sporty" shots taken with my SX40HS...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/sp...-athletic.html
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:39 AM   #3

In general, dSLRs are much better for sports/action phtography. They use a Phase Detect autofocus system that's faster and more accurate than the Contrast Measurement autofocus system used in lesser cameras, especially in low light (indoor sports, like basketball.)

You've no doubt already seen that you can get lucky sometimes with a non-dSLR, but if you want consistantly good results, you should consider a dSLR.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:54 AM   #4

Default Thanks for the Info

I appreciate you both helping me out. Simon40, your pictures are exactly the type I hope to achieve. I'm glad you included them. I am going to start searching for a new camera so I can get those great shots this summer!!!

Thanks again
SoftballCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:15 PM   #5

Take a look at the Sports & Action Photos forum to see what others here are using.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote