Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 1, 2012, 3:33 PM   #1

Default Important priority: a Viewfinder

I'm just starting to look for a new camera. I need something as small and lightweight as possible, due to arthritis in my thumbs. I shoot outdoors a lot, and cannot abide a camera without a viewfinder-- which lets out all the P&Ss, as far as I can tell. I started to look at micro four thirds cameras, but couldn't tell quickly which, if any, have a viewfinder.

Beyond that, interchangeable lenses would be nice, touch-screen controls would not. I have no interest in video, though I suppose all cameras now have it. Price is not much of an issue; size and the viewfinder are. I'd be happy to look at slightly older technology... I don't need the "latest and greatest".

Thanks for any help and advice on where to start.
turtlesilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2012, 4:08 PM   #2

I know there a some out there but can't tell you which, if any, compact-style camera has one. Have you considered a bridge camera?
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 5:05 PM   #3

i have wrist problems, and am about to get a panasonic g3. it's very light, nice and small and has a good quality electronic viewfinder. most cameras of any heft hurt my wrists, but this one was comfortable. the smaller grip is perfect for me, but no way to know if it would be as comfortable for you.

while there are touch screen controls, there are also a number of manual controls. picture quality is nice, too, and price is pretty good, although i see it went up as of today, but that's how cameras seem to work - prices are constantly changing. you can check out the additional pics at bhphoto below and see if there's enough manual controls to suit you.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...42mm_Lens.html
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 5:47 PM   #4

In general P&S cameras don't have eye-level viewfinders. They rely on the LCD monitor for everything, and adding an eye-level viewfinder would add size and expense. And optical viewfinders are out because you can't zoom an optical viewfinder.

All dSLRs have eye-level viewfinders, but of course, they won't get past your other criteria.

Most Four/Thirds cameras have eye-level viewfinders, but most of them are discontinued.

Most Micro Four/Thirds don't have them, but some do, and some of them have optional eye-level viewfinders, but they make them bigger and heavier.

Bridge cameras all have eye-level viewfinders. Lots of people here are very pleased with Panasonic's bridge cameras, so you may want to look there.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:40 PM   #5

Bridge cameras did seem like an answer, and I have an old Canon PowerShot S3IS bridge, which I keep coming back to. It has a viewfinder, 12x zoom, which is great, and takes great pictures. But it's heavy and bulky to carry with me all the time.

I tried a Nikon bridge, can't remember the number, which was a bit lighter, but had a 26x zoom. Sounded like a good idea, but I hated it. Most of that extra zoom was no use hand held. The photos were always soft or blurry, so I gave it to my sister and went back to the Canon.

The Panasonic G looks promising despite the touch screen. Of course, by the time I decide, they'll probably have discontinued it!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlesilk View Post
Bridge cameras did seem like an answer, and I have an old Canon PowerShot S3IS bridge, which I keep coming back to. It has a viewfinder, 12x zoom, which is great, and takes great pictures. But it's heavy and bulky to carry with me all the time.

I tried a Nikon bridge, can't remember the number, which was a bit lighter, but had a 26x zoom. Sounded like a good idea, but I hated it. Most of that extra zoom was no use hand held. The photos were always soft or blurry, so I gave it to my sister and went back to the Canon.

The Panasonic G looks promising despite the touch screen. Of course, by the time I decide, they'll probably have discontinued it!
So? You can get it cheaper then! Just because they discontinue a model doesn't mean the cameras don't work just fine.
My Gallery

--
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
So? You can get it cheaper then! Just because they discontinue a model doesn't mean the cameras don't work just fine.
I never thought of that... I suppose discontinued cameras are still available somewhere online.

Thanks, all, for the input.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:41 PM   #8

turtlesilk,
Here's a camera that may fit your needs:
- Canon brand
- OPTICAL VIEWFINDER
- Light: Approx. 6.53 oz./185 g (including the battery and memory card)
- Fairly small
- NO touchscreen

Oh, and by the way, it's just $ 78 new at Amazon (that's seventy eight dollars, no kidding)

It's the Canon Powershot A1200

Sure, you won't get DSLR picture quality for that price (and size), but it certainly looks interesting considering your needs.

Its successor, the Powershot A1300, has just been launched and it's retailing at $ 119 at a number of online places. As far as I can tell, the only differences with the A1200 is a (probably undesirable) increase in pixel count and a slight increase in the zoom (from 4x to 5x)
city_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:58 AM   #9
Super Moderator

You don't specifiy whether an Electronic VF is okay, or whether it must be optical.

If optical then your options are fairly limited. Fuji has the X10 (research the orbs issue first to decide whether it will be a problem for you), the X100 and the new XPro1. All have excellent optical viewfinders.

Apart from that there are many cameras that have excellent electronic viewfinders:
  • A number of m4/3 from Panasonic.
  • The new Olympus OM-D.
  • The Nikon V1
  • The Sony NEX7.
And of course there are always the DSLRs, which have optical viewfinders too but size may become more of an issue.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 6:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
You don't specifiy whether an Electronic VF is okay, or whether it must be optical.

If optical then your options are fairly limited. Fuji has the X10 (research the orbs issue first to decide whether it will be a problem for you), the X100 and the new XPro1. All have excellent optical viewfinders.

Apart from that there are many cameras that have excellent electronic viewfinders:
  • A number of m4/3 from Panasonic.
  • The new Olympus OM-D.
  • The Nikon V1
  • The Sony NEX7.
And of course there are always the DSLRs, which have optical viewfinders too but size may become more of an issue.
DANG!! I forgot all about the Fuji X-xxx line! They are getting rave reviews and would be just the ticket!

Good call, Peri!!
My Gallery

--