Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:26 AM   #1

Default Will the AF in the 5D Mark III be identical with the AF in the Canon 1DX???

Will the AF in the Canon 1Dx be identical with the AF in the Canon 5D Mark III I know it will be similar 61 point AF system but will it be identical?

If yes, why would most of us buy the Canon 1Dx for twice as much? I know the canon frame rate is much higher (faster) but I don't see too much difference between the two cameras which would justify me to spend twice as much for a camera...? I am a wedding photographer and I don't use the video capabilities and I don't really need the high frame rate, either.
What I need is fast and accurate focusing... It is hard to believe that the autofocus in the Canon 5D Mark III will be identical with the one Canon builds into the Canon 1Dx...

I am hesitant to pre-order it... Should I pre-order it??? I am willing to buy only it if it is exactly the same!

Any toughs?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:24 AM   #2

This is what dp review has to say on the matter...

"The EOS 5D Mark III utilises the same 61-point wide-area AF system as the flagship EOS-1D X, providing exceptional sensitivity, precision and speed. One of the most advanced AF systems currently available, it features an impressive 41 cross-type points and five dual cross-type points, providing unsurpassed accuracy across the frame. The customisable AF pre-sets introduced in the EOS-1D X are also available, helping the capture of traditionally challenging subjects, and providing additional reliability in ituations where subject movement can be unpredictable."

They use the word "same",not similar- so I guess it could well be identical...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:48 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami photographer View Post
I am hesitant to pre-order it... Should I pre-order it??? I am willing to buy only it if it is exactly the same!
Surely you would be willing to buy it if it is good enough for your purposes?

However, there is every chance that it uses the same components. The difference between 12fps and 6fps is technologically very big, and indeed the 1DX has 3 processors, one dedicated to AF alone I believe.

I doubt that it will be quite as good in the field however. I am led to believe from anecdotes that although the AF system in the D700 and D3 have the same specs, because of the extra processing power in the D3 it's performance is better. I suspect the same will be true for the Canon systems.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Administrator

They're not in the same class as far as performance goes. That's a big difference in frame rate, stressing lots of areas (how fast data can be read from the sensor, shutter and mirror mechanism design, processor design, on board cache design, etc.).

The 1D X is built for speed, with a newly designed sensor capable of faster data transfer, a high tech carbon fiber shutter design rated for 400,000 cycles (versus 150,000 for the 5D Mk III), Dual DIGIC V+ processors for image processing to cope with frame rates that fast (versus a single processor in the 5D Mk III), a dedicated DIGIC IV processor just for Autofocus and more. It's also got more AF tuning choices for tracking.

In addition, the sensor in the 1D X has a one stop higher ISO speed range (standard up to ISO 51,200, with boost settings up to ISO 204,800), implying that the 18MP sensor in the 1D X is tuned for even better image quality at higher ISO speeds compared to the 22MP Sensor in the 5D Mk III, as sports shooters may like to have to get even faster shutter speeds to freeze action in poor lighting conditions.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:34 AM   #5

getting back to AF - it's also about processing. The 1dx, like other 1 series cameras has a processor dedicated to AF. In the 5dIII, the focus system does not have a dedicated processor. So, performance won't be the same in demanding circumstances. But, lots of that processing is only required for ai-servo functionality. So, the lack of a dedicated processor for focus is not likely to come into play for you.

The real challenge, though, is it's a new focus system. So, it's yet to be determined how well it works in the field. At $3500, I would not want to be an early adopter of this camera. It might be everything Canon has promised, but it might not. AND, as I've said - my belief is Sony will introduce a full-frame camera at a lower price point and Canon will be forced to drop the price.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
AND, as I've said - my belief is Sony will introduce a full-frame camera at a lower price point and Canon will be forced to drop the price.
I sure hope you're right John, because I want a 5D MK3 pretty bad; but $3500 if just too much for me right now.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote