Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:45 AM   #1

Default Eek Camera Broke! Need Advice!

My Nikon 8mp Coolpix s202 has a lens error now and I cannot take pics! It was purchased a few years back. Although it got horrible reviews from not be able to record sound, it was actually a pretty good little camera. At least for what I used it for.

I am a small animal owner. I have pet rodents which are small and move a lot so it's hard to get good pics of them. I love taking tons of photos, especially of my fur babies, as well as other animals like reptiles. Also of flowers in the garden. Almost always in low light. The Coolpix did a great job with it.

So I am looking for something similar but with more megapixels so it capture more detail in their fur. So it must have great macro mode and have a fast shutter speed without blur. Also I need something that will take great pics in low light, with bright colors like my old one did. I would prefer an ultraslim one as well.

Should I stick with Nikon Coolpix? Some of the models I have been looking at I am not crazy about. Less metallic coating and more plastic. Not as attractive. A couple were difficult to figure out. That doesn't matter too much but it kinda turns me away from wanting to buy one. I also notice so many cameras are on sale everywhere now so I am guessing newer models are coming out soon.

Would it be wise to just wait for a newer model then? Or grab one now at a great price? Anyone have/know of a model that will do what I want it to?

Thanks so much! Steph
MissKissKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:24 AM   #2

Hi Steph. There will always be "new models" on the way- and if what's on offer suffices and fits your needs- go for it. Your low light shooting might suggest the need for a fast lens(f/1.8 -f/2.0),though beware than not all fast lens compacts have a close macro facility. Also- not having too wide a lens(23-24mm)can actually help when shooting close subjects as you don't have to get so close.
This might fit the bill- as it has an f/2.0 lens,a not too crowded CMOS 10mp sensor,28mm lens at wide angle,3cm macro capability... etc...

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...300_hs_review/

SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:25 PM   #3

Hi, sorry for the late reply! It looks like a very awesome camera! Thank you for helping me!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:10 PM   #4

the camera camera SIMON40 listed is one my husband owns. it's about the best lower light compact camera around due to its f2.0 lens, and for a smaller camera, we've been quite impressed by the image quality. that being said, some say it's not the best for fast moving subjects, but i don't see why not - raise the shutter speed and there you are. the specs says it goes up to 1/2500th of a second, but my husband is checking now and says he's seeing 1/1250th, which should by faster than you'd need.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 5:29 PM   #5

Pcake, that's great! I think that will be the one I am getting. Does it do well with macro mode? I need macro for fast moving animals so hopefully with the right camera will still give me sharp pics, not blurry ones!

I was also looking at the ELPH 300 because I read somewhere it was listed as one of the best cameras for macro mode. I do not know a whole lot about cameras to tell whether or not which one will be better. I am assuming the IXUS 300 is the better one.

My old one did great, I said wrong though, it didn't do well in low light at all, just wonderful while the flash was on. But it will be nice to have one where I don't need to use the flash and still get clear pics.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:04 PM   #6

i've shot some pretty close pics without switching to macro mode, actually. i've focused pretty close.

here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/tags/sd4000/
are 3 pics i just shot right now for you, and if you click on a pic, then go through actions on the dropdown, you can see them full size as i uploaded full versions for you or you can just check out the smaller versions. one was of my cat, who was turning away at the time as he didn't like the focus assist light. it was shot less than 2 inches away, i believe.

the pics are all shot in a dim room - there's a single 40 watt bulb not near any of the pics, it's daylight outside but our blinds are cutting out most of the light. i'm also sick, and my hands are shaky - you can tell that with the bass headstock pic. with my sx230, these pics wouldn't have turned out.

keep in mind that while these are dim, these would be much darker on another camera.

btw, please don't judge my photography by these - they were only to test the macro on my husband's sd4000.

Last edited by pcake; Apr 16, 2012 at 7:18 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:38 PM   #7

Wow they are amazing for such low light!! I love it!!!

I did something really stupid. I was out and saw the other camera I mentioned, the ELPH 300. It was on clearance and there was only the display left. With the discount plus my gift card it was only $85 for it so I thought it was a super bargain and got excited and bought it!

Anyway I got home, checked it out and guess what? WRONG BATTERY! Some punk must have done a switch a roo prank in the store or else the employee gave me the wrong one. I am taking it back and I am just going to spend a little more and get your camera instead. I am sure it's much better than this one because your pics look amazing and it's higher retail. I can't believe that happened...lesson learnt! No more spur of the moment nor display camera purchases for me!!!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:04 AM   #8

sorry that happened to you, but honestly the sd4000's f/2.0 aperture will do much better in low light than the elph 300's f/3.5 aperture, and having manual modes will help you get clearer pics of your active small animals.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:17 AM   #9

Thank you. I ended up getting more of a discount after talking to the store about it. So only paid $56. I was thinking I should keep it just because I didn't pay much. But it all depends on the quality and it's hard to get good pics of small animals. I have till June to decide if I want to keep it. I'll keep looking around though, maybe I'll find the 4000's at a good price. The stores seem to be cheaper than online right now but are also selling out.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:46 AM   #10

At that price, you have a great deal. Still looking around? About the only way you are going to improve on it is going up in sensor size. Virtually all P&S, including those bulky 'bridge' cameras use a 1:2.3 sensor, but there is a small group of about 5 cameras that use the larger 1:1.7 sensor. Two in particular as the others get larger and bulkier.

Canon S100 (or S95 if can still find it)
same zoom range as the 300HS and f2.0 lens. Adds RAW ability plus other features.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...00-review.html

Panasonic LX5 (or the more expensive Leica twin)
Fast 2.0 lens but not quite the telephoto range of the Canon, 24-95 vs 24-120. Adds a flash hotshoe for external flash capability, RAW capable, but 'only' 720p on video. This is an older model rumored to be replace and price dropping.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...x5-review.html

Beyond that, for compact cameras the next sensor sizes up are the grossly over priced Nikon 1 then the Panosonic and Olympus 4/3 models. It is in this group that you will totally eliminate 'noticable' shutter lag, plus with acceptable results at higher ISO compared to P&S, fast glass isn't as critical.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote