Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:54 AM   #1

Default Need advice on which cam to match with Pana.LX3

Hi. I have a Panasonic LX3 and I love it because it takes good pics in low lights specially indoors. I also have a Canon Ixus 120IS and I like that it's compact and easy to carry on my handbag, but I find that it doesn't take as good pictures as the LX3. Hence I am looking for advice from experts on what camera you can recommend to replace my Canon.
I see that many cams these days are also touchscreen. I am not sure if this is necessary. I'm afraid that it just makes the camera more expensive and probably easier to break down due to being more sensitive. Perhaps anyone can also advice about this.

I want to see all my possible options before I buy. Since I liked the Panasonic LX3 someone suggested using another Panasonic like ZS8 or ZS10. But based on the specs their aperture seems to be only go F3. I am not a pro so I don't really know how to compare specs. I was just told that the lower the better. I see that the LX3 is at F2. Aside from the aperture I was told to look at the lens. But what spec should I look out for to know that it's a good one? Is it the bigger the better?

Basically I plan to use it in taking pics of my kids so I don't think ultra zoom lenses are necessary for this. I just want it to be as good as the LX3 if not better, but lighter so it's convenient to put inside by bag. It can be a Panasonic, Canon, Sony or Nikon. I think all are good brands. I see that the Canon S100 seem to have good reviews. It doesn't seem to be as light as the Ixus but it doesn't seem bulky unlike the LX3 (which weighs 265g)

Any thoughts from you experts? Thank you in advance.

Last edited by wanderintraveler; Mar 15, 2012 at 7:06 AM.
wanderintraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:24 AM   #2

Canon's ixus 300HS might improve things somewhat.
An F/2.0 lens,10 mp CMOS sensor,image stabilised,HD movies...etc...
It's a little larger- roughly 10mm longer and 4mm thicker- but still a nice little compact- and can be had for a bargain price as it's an older model now.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Canon-...-Camera_review
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:33 PM   #3

Thanks Simon40 for giving your input. I will look into it. Is there anyone who can recommend other cams so I have more choices? Thanks again. Appreciate it.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:37 AM   #4

my husband has the camera SIMON40 suggested. it takes very nice lower light pics compared to other digicams, but isn't as fast to autofocus as some, so maybe not the best for kids who may be running around.

have you considered a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera? right now the older olympus e-pl1 is selling for around $300 a lot of places including amazon. if you look up reviews of this camera, you'll find it has better image quality, great low light performance and you don't have to change the lens after you get it put on the camera. but if you decide to, it opens up a world of options.
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Interc.../dp/B0035LBRKS
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:00 PM   #5

Pcake-Thanks for your reply. I don't know what is a mirrorless lens. But it seems this one is even heavier than LX3.