Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 17, 2012, 1:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjde View Post
I just checked and the DMC-SZ7 is $390 on Amazon while the ZS10 is $233. (And the ZS8 is $180.)
Quote:
No, I hadn't. Why do you think that's better?
That's not possible, let me check ...
Ok, checked, it's Panasonic's Marketing Department fault See, they had the utterly BRILLIANT idea of releasing TWO different cameras with names as similar as DMC-SZ7 and DMC-ZS7 (don't blink or you'll get them mixed up )
So the price you saw at AMAZON was for the ZS7 while I had recommended the SZ7.
The SZ7 I recommended is MUCH cheaper, about $ 200 at B&H Photo. It's a brand new model (released March 2012). Specs-wise and size-wise, it's very similar to the Canon 310 HS, but with a 10x zoom instead of the Canon's 8x zoom, that's why I thought you should consider it.
This is the official webpage for the model: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compa...sz1/index.html
And a review: http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/compact-di...view-50006987/
city_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:38 PM   #12

This is really confusing with all these similar names!
So now if I say I'm deciding between the Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7 (14 megapixel, 10X zoom) and the DMC-ZS5 ( 12 megapixel and 12 X zoom), what would you say? Cost is very similar.
sjde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:42 AM   #13

Both are good (even very good) cameras, each has its strengths:

Panasonic DMC-SZ7
  • Smaller and lighter
  • Newer (hence, probably a better processor inside)
  • Full HD video (1080 p)
  • Better LCD screen (460 k)
  • Good image quality, considering the size and the zoom

Panasonic DMC-ZS5

• Somewhat larger and heavier
  • 720 p video
  • Better lens
  • Manual exposure controls
  • Very good image quality (for a small-sensor point and shoot camera)

Here's a full comparison between the two:
http://snapsort.com/compare/Panasoni..._DMC-ZS5/specs

If your top priority is image quality, then I think the ZS5 comes out on top
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:30 AM   #14

Thanks for summing it up so well!

Sue
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:37 AM   #15

I found the DMC-SZ7 for $199.99 at Adorama and BH Photo.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 2:25 PM   #16

To further complicate things, my daughter just suggested-because she saw it on a list of best cameras--the Sony DSC HX7V.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:14 AM   #17

Quote:
To further complicate things, my daughter just suggested-because she saw it on a list of best cameras--the Sony DSC HX7V.
Well, there are certainly a number of cameras that could also be included in your short list. The Sony HX7V is a nice camera too, but it has a 16 megapixel sensor. I'd rather choose a camera with a lower mp count (for example 12 mp) because they produce less noise.
Another camera that I think you should consider is the Canon SX230 HS. It's similar to the Panasonic ZS5 but 1 year newer and with a better LCD screen. Image quality should be about the same, a little better with the Canon in some situations and a little better with the Panasonic in others.

So, if IQ (image quality) is more important than "pocketability", I'd personally go with either the Panasonic ZS5 or the Canon SX230 HS.
If pocketability > IQ then I'd choose between the Panasonic SZ7 and the Canon ELPH 310 HS.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:41 AM   #18

Thanks again. I think I'd rather go with IQ than pocketability because any can probably be carried in my rather large purse!

Could you clarify in what situations the Canon SX230HS would have better IQ than the Panasonic ZS5? I'm guessing one is better in low light?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 1:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Could you clarify in what situations the Canon SX230HS would have better IQ than the Panasonic ZS5? I'm guessing one is better in low light?
No, not really. Both the SX230HS and the ZS5 have sensors of identical size, they both have the same megapixel count, and both cameras have lenses with similar aperture ranges. All that means that low light performance should be similar between the two.
Keep in mind though that you can't reasonably expect great low-light performance with any of these small-sensor cameras. They'll be adequate in low light, or at most good, but certainly not great.
The difference between the two cameras has to do with the processing each of them applies to the image, regarding for example sharpening, noise reduction, color, etc. These differences won't really be noticeable, particularly when viewing the pictures on the PC screen or at common printing sizes (5 x 7 inches, 8 x 10 inches).
You can see for yourself these (slight) differences through Imaging Resource's Comparometer which allows you to see, side by side, the same picture taken with each camera using the same settings. If you can't find the ZS5, make sure you select "Display: All Cameras"
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:07 AM   #20

Cool site. But I checked All Cameras and still didn't see it.