Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:37 PM   #1

Default Samsung PL210 or Canon 300

I know nothing about cameras ..I am trying the Samsung which has 10X zoom, 14 megapixels but uses mini instead of SD. It is discontinued and was a display model so I got it for $140

my daughter has Canon 300 powershot and says i should return Samsung and get it..this one costs $134

Any advice??
washmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:50 PM   #2

Given their "point and shoot" aspirations- I'm sure either will suffice.
The Canon may have the IQ edge- with the Samsung has the clear reach advantage....
Which do YOU prefer...?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:31 PM   #3

I have no idea what IQ or clear reach is..

I just want a camera that is easy to use, takes good photos and I would also like to get clear zoomed pics of landscapes. The Samsung battery is recharged in the camera and so far I have not priced a spare battery (could not find one lol).

The Canon battery comes out of camera and goes in a little pack which plugs in, replacement battery is $34 and readily available.

I am not sure if there is an advantage to either..I read consumer reports and am still unsure..a salesman told me Canon has better technology but he didn't sell Samsung. He also said never buy a display model which the Samsung is

Last edited by washmill; Mar 19, 2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:39 PM   #4

I tried to post a response but don't see it..Thanks for your response.

I don't know what an IQ edge is or what clear reach advantage is...sorry but I really don't know anything about cameras..hence my dilema..

I asked a salesman and he said Samsung is not a good brand and I should only buy Canon...I tried to price new batteries and could not find one for Samsung (which has to be charged in the camera..is this a pro or con?) and the Canon is available at $34 but consumers reports says camera life is not good for Canon with no data re Samsung battery. The Samsung seems to take a clearer zoom pic than the Canon..right now I have both and have to rerturn one.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:00 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by washmill View Post
I tried to post a response but don't see it..Thanks for your response.
Since you're a brand new member, something about that post was flagged for moderator approval by our spam filter (if I had to guess, it's because of the dollar amount included, which may have triggered the filter to assume it might be spam from someone trying to sell a product here).

If that happens (posts don't show up immediately), please be patient, as we have a spam filter that sometimes does that with new members for the first 10 posts if the filter suspects the posts are spam, and they will not show up until one of us approves them.

We get an awful lot of spam here, so we employ a "learning" filter that helps keep it out of the forums until we either delete it and ban the member posting it, or approve the posts if the filter makes a mistake (as in your case).

My apologies for any inconvenience.

BTW, Welcome to Steve's.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:44 AM   #6

washmill- IQ is image quality- and reach means zoom range- in this case the Canon having 24mm-120mm(5x) and the Samsung having 27-270mm(10x).
Getting a battery for the Samsung is no problem at all- well not here in the UK anyhow- many available online from a variety of outlets.
Here's a couple of reviews-
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie..._pl210_review/
and the Canon-
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/300HS/300HSA.HTM
With regards longevity of either camera- Canon have been making cameras since the beginning of time- and I've had a number of Samsung compacts over the years and have been happy with all of them.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:23 AM   #7

Thank you so very much for all your info...I looked at both sites and ended up buying both cameras...brought them home this morning, took pics and printed them...the Samsung pictures were better up close and in zoom mode so far the Samsung is my preference ..only one question left lol is the mini disk (not sure what it is called) that has to be put in the adapter better than the standard sd or vice versa and is the fact that the Canon can use the new SDSX a plus.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:08 PM   #8

I assume you mean the micro SD used in the Samsung- and the SDXC in the Canon.
I personally don't like using adapters to "step up" in size- preferring a straight card.
I'm assuming you're using the adapter to fit the micro SD (used in the Samsung)for use in the Canon's card slot(standard SD size).
The SDXC is just a higher capacity SD card- useful if you plan on taking a few movies- which swallow up gigabytes very quickly..!
Though I suspect a standard capacity micro SD or SD card holds more than enough photos for most people..!

Beware that an SDXC card may fit in an older cameras SD slot,but it may not function correctly- or even at all- if the camera does not support SDXC.