Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:20 AM   #1

Default Pentax or Cannon?

Was very interested in the Cannon t3i Rebel, loved everything about it. I am currently using my girlfriends pentax K-x, I like pentax there pretty cool camera.

Well thing is im not sure which to buy yes cannon is a great brand, but with pentax i can just use all my girlfriends lens sense she has a ton.

But then again i can buy my own lens, my question is what Pentax camera is the same as the t3i rebel.

I plan to shoot pictures of animals, plants, landscape(possibly), sunsets, sunrises.

Probably will never shoot sports.

Which camera should i choose.
SethE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2012, 2:50 PM   #2

Probably the nearest camera in the Pentax line up to the T3i(600D) is the K-r,with the K-5 being a step up from that....
All great cameras- and a bonus that your girlfriend has all of those lenses....
Just don't fall out with her if you go the Pentax route...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:20 PM   #3

None of the pentax entry are up to the canon, it just has great HD ability and the better AF system. The K-r is a good camera, so is the K-x. If you are going just using them for general photography, either brands work. But if you plan on using it for HD, canon hands down. With action canon has the lenses require to get the action shot, but those lenses are super expensive. The pentax is clean at higher iso at 6400 and 12800, but you really do not what to shoot up there unless you have to. I like the pentax as a general photography tool, that shoots some action. It does a nice job shooting birds in flight and stuff like that with the right lens.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:39 PM   #4

Yeah I do not plan to be using video at all just for photography, and I realize I spelled canon wrong whoops. But if the K-r is just as good of a match compared to the t3i rebel in photography standpoint i may just buy it, sense she has about 15 lens, some are 2 of the same.
SethE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:00 PM   #5

well I would look into the k-r a bit more, some members has complain that there is a problem with the AF system over at the pentax sub forum on steves'. It annoyed the member so much with pentax refusal to accept there was an issue he sold his whole pentax setup for canon. I know the k-x AF is pretty good for general photography uses and have not had any AF issues like the k-r.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:30 PM   #6

I have a friend with a Pentax KX. She is very happy with her camera equipment. She does a lot of wide angle and macro work and has a Pentax 12-24 wide angle and a 100 WR Macro. Both lenses are very highly rated (Popular Photography Magazine) and her pictures are excellent.

I have both Canon and Pentax equipment and they both make excellent stuff.

I would suggest you check out reviews on the internet for additional information.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:13 PM   #7

hello Seth,
go Pentax man and with the money you save on the lenses, upgrade to the best Pentax that will fit in your budget, esp. since you can borrow lenses from your G/F, you can go to the next level up in camera body, and since you borrow her lenses at time she can borrow your camera, a fair trade of man.
Pentax has been a camera manufacturer for many years and im sure they still produce some very good cameras.
gees wish we were all so lucky.
good luck.
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:52 PM   #8

If you can afford it, the K5 is going for under $1000 right now. That's a really good buy right now, I think it would be better value right now. However, it's a bigger camera and the ergonomics are different. All of these cameras will be fine for general use, but the ergonomics are different.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 3:26 AM   #9

if you havent tried out the canon i would do that next. as you are used to using the pentax then it may well be a good idea to go that way and you have the option to share lenses.
The big thing to remember when buying a DSLR is you are buying into a system so make sure that system fits your needs and dont settle for i will get used to it
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 9:30 PM   #10

my husband recently got a pentax k-r. it's nice, but lower light or higher ISO (ISO 800 and 1600) raw pics are noisier than our old canon 30d - don't know about jpg as my husband never shoots jpg.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote