Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:59 PM   #1

Default Which camera Is best? Fujifilm finepix S4000 or Canon PowerShot SX150 IS?

Hello all,

I am really quite into photography and I am looking at getting one of these two cameras as stated in the title. I am a bit lost as I have read thousands of reviews good and bad on both of these and I have no idea which one to get...My Budget is sadly around 180 and these seem to be the best two I have found and yes, I know SLRs are the best but alas I can't afford these.

I love using macro shots and taking pictures of wildlife/people/pets etc and I really want to know which produces the best pictures and which is worth it I guess

Thanks
CherryBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:50 AM   #2

Both quite different beasts...
Maybe these reviews might help you...
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie..._s4000_review/
and the Canon...
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...150_is_review/

Obviously the Fuji has twice the zoom of the Canon(more in fact...!),which may- or may not- be significant. I'm personally not a fan of the s4000's sensor based stabiliser- no where near as effective as Canons lens based system- especially given the extended range of the Fuji. The Fuji's however do seem to have superb battery life with 4xAA's on board.
I don't think either are for "pixel peepers"- but if you're not too demanding- and shoot primarily in good light- either should suffice- especially given the price point.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:18 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply

I have been doing none stop research into both cameras and the only thing that worries me with the Fuji is the fact that I have read the pictures can look as if they have some kind of paint effect going on and that they aren't very sharp...I have even been on Flickr looking at pictures by both models..ahh safe to say I am a bit lost! lol
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:20 AM   #4

wonderful..Now I am interested in the Panasonic Lumix FZ45 which is a little bit out of my price range but doable ...
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:13 PM   #5

The Fuji's paint effect is VERY heavy handed noise reduction- which gets worse as you crank up the iso setting.
The Panasonic "FZ" range has been very popular for years now- currently the FZ-150 top of the pile- though unfortunately out of your budget.
Maybe consider the more compact Panasonic "TZ" range also- the TZ8 onwards has the benefit of full manual exposure options also...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 7:19 PM   #6

i'd get the canon over the fuji for the better image quality, and i like the somewhat chunky feel of the camera in my hand, as well. that being said, if the fz45 is doable, i'd definitely get it ahead of the other two. fuji bridge cameras always seem to have too much noise or too much noise reduction. i don't care for either, even with the extra zoom.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote