Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 26, 2012, 1:28 PM   #1

Default Rough Cameras

I've been looking around for a replacement to my current Olympus SW1050. What I want that the 1050 does not have is a 5x zoom (vs 3.6 zoom on my current camera) and if possible when I turn the camera on not to have the flash automatically fire for ever shot unless I go through the flash mode and turn it off. I HATE the way the flash work son the SW1050. I've lost many pictures due to the flash firing off when I first turn on the camera and forget to turn it off.

i was looking at the newer Olympus Tough series cameras 610 and 820 and most of the reviews state the image quality is not as good as the camera I am currently using which is surprising since the SW1050 was a late 2008 early 2009 camera and its now 2012. Since I use the camera to take pictures for a local newspaper I need good image quality. Also the batteries I have for the camera are starting to die for being charged so much and I thought about getting a new camera before I go and spend money on new batteries and only use them for a couple of months......

So wondering if anyone here has suggestions for a good pocket type waterproof/rough type camera that has a 5x zoom and good image quality (8MP or 10MP will work just fine for me). Something I can use in a rain shower, snow showers........ Any brand is fine, pocketable is a MAJOR plus as I also own a Fuji HS20 and Pentax K-5 for my normal serious work but need one for those times when I need to work in rain, snow or need to carryt he camera in my pocket.

Budget is $300 which should include a spare battery (and if the camera doesn't use SDHC or micro SDHC a good 8GB card).

Thanks in advance
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2012, 1:55 PM   #2

Nikon's AW 100 has a 5x zoom- and the Panasonic FT3 has a 4.6x zoom.
Olympus's TG-610 has a 5X zoom also...
Not sure of prices where you are- but WILL be cheaper than the UK..!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 3:10 PM   #3

I have not heard good things about the image quality of he Olympus 610

I will check out the other cameras

dave
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:37 PM   #4

i recently purchased a nikon aw100
i posted my thoughts in this post
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...ml#post1289562
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:58 PM   #5

Sony's DSC-TX5 was highly regarded in the iq stakes- though was only a 4x zoom...
and if you don't mind 16mp.... consider the TX-10.

Last edited by SIMON40; Mar 26, 2012 at 5:10 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:30 PM   #6

Thanks for the link to the article and the additional info. Will be doing much more research for the next week.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:26 PM   #7

So after doing all the research and looking at the excellent link I am now done to either the Nikon AW 100 or the Panasonic FT3. There are pros and cons of each and I am finding it hard to make up mind. And,... to make things worse none of my local stores have either of these cameras for me to try out in person. Anyone have either of these or used these before. Any additional info or real world use thoughts much appreciated.

Looking for very good quality at 10MP or higher; good video (does not have to super HD, I have been hooting at 640x480 on my Olympus SW1050 and that is fine for what I use it for); good speed between shots not a lot of waiting a long time on the camera to save the images before I can shoot the next image.

Thanks in advance

dave
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:29 AM   #8

Just wanted to let everyone know in case anyone is in the same boat as me that I ended up ordering the Panasonic TS3 with an extra battery. I also came across a deal that was too good to pass up as the company was trying to clear out its old inventory to make room for the new TS4 and not only had a good price but free shipping on top of that.

dave
Old Apr 1, 2012, 1:23 PM   #9

Nice tough little chap,the TS3....
We'll be keen to hear your early impressions... and maybe some pics...
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:42 AM   #10

Sony TX-20 comes out soon.. should beat them all.
Torr is offline   Reply With Quote